Help to keep me honest

Options

Comments

• DrSpendLittle
    Options
    On the MSE front, I caught the report on the radio about mobile phone companies charging people for phones after they have paid for them. I’m so fed up with companies that take advantage of people. My phone contract expires in December after 2 years and I’m looking forward to cancelling and moving to a cheaper sim only deal. I have to admire their ability to bump up my bill month after month with little extra charges

Completely agree! Mine expires in about two weeks and I can't wait to switch to a SIM only deal - £10 per month. I get a 5GB boost with my broadband so I am fortunate to be able to go on the lowest SIM only plan possible. I'll save up for a new phone and buy outright next time I need one as I don't want to be stuck in a 2 year contract again. Take back power!! :)
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Completely agree! Mine expires in about two weeks and I can't wait to switch to a SIM only deal - £10 per month. I get a 5GB boost with my broadband so I am fortunate to be able to go on the lowest SIM only plan possible. I'll save up for a new phone and buy outright next time I need one as I don't want to be stuck in a 2 year contract again. Take back power!! :)

Hi DrSpendLittle,
    Thanks for dropping by! :) I have had a quick browse and there seem to be some good deals around including with my Broadband provider. I can see the PUK code on the mobile site and apparently the phone is already unlocked. Last time I half-heartedly tried to cancel and got passed to the retention team and came away on another 2 year contract.:o That's not happening again! Would be interested to hear how you get on when you switch.
    Aiming to early retire in April 2025 - DC pension currently £350k 
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Good morning diary and all,
    Some good news on the pay front. OH has had a pay rise through this month. I have also had a tax rebate, for some reason I have overpaid by several hundred pounds. My tax code has been changed. So should be able to make a big payment to debt and update signature on Friday. Debtfreedomness is now just four payments away after that, the date will be 27 Feb 2018, the day after pay day. :j
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Great news on debt free date .What are your plans after that ? Savings or a little spend ?
  • Happierdays
    Options
    Wow great new! Feb is no time at all..must be great that the finishing line is in sight! Wishing you all the best x :T :T :T
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Thanks for your comments !
    I have spoken to OH about what we do after we have paid off the debt. We have an amount of surplus each month which is what we have been using to pay down the debt. I think we will loosen the purse strings a bit to give us some money each month for eating out, clothes, holiday so a bit more discretionary spend. The rest we will overpay on the mortgage.
  • glass_half_full
    Options
    Fantastic news glass_half_full, I'm MSE Badger and I've just given you a badge!
    blue-2.png
    2 year anniversary

Congratulations! You’ve been an MSE MoneySaver 2 years! A huge celebratory Mexican Wave from all of us at MoneySaving Towers.

Evening all,
    Just got my two year badge today. I felt proud in a funny kind of way.The more I have posted on here the better I have done.
  • DrSpendLittle
    Options
    Congratulations :T:T
  • glass_half_full
    glass_half_full Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 7 November 2017 at 8:10AM
    Options
    Good morning diary and all,
    Managed to shave a few pounds off some direct debits. I pay £89 per month for a bus and train card, but now OH and I are more coordinated on the commute I very rarely use the bus. So I am changing the card to be just train so this will reduce to £64 which is a saving of £25 per month. My mobile contract is coming to an end so reducing from £35 per month to £10 a month sim only a saving of £25 per month.
    I had cut up my 3 credit cards ages ago and recently wrote to close the accounts. Never going there again. I had £35K of credit limit, crazy.
    When we are debt free, OH and I are going to sit down together and agree how we use that money going forward. May save up for a replacement car first, nothing extravagant. Then move on to overpaying the mortgage. We’ll see.
    Have a great day all!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's great to have plans for after DFD as to where the money goes. Mine will be going towards saving for retirement, I don't want to work until I am 66 or later , aiming for 60.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure