Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

why are poppies so difficult to wear?

Just curious, why are poppies so difficult to wear? they hasve a massive stemp wich will leave a permanent hole in your clothes if you choose push it through.

Why have they opted for this design rather that a standard badge pin design?

Is it for cost reasons or is it to prevent re-use so people dont wear the same poppy every year?

Comments

• The stemmed one is more designed for a button hole where as you can also get one with a pin.

You could attach a stemmed one with a safety pin if you so desired.
  • Just remember the reason behind the poppy... Won't seem such a problem then.
    There are many styles of poppy available to show your support. The Poppy Shop online is open all year round too.
    Thanks to all posters for being so generous with your finds!
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    The stemmed one is more designed for a button hole where as you can also get one with a pin.

You could attach a stemmed one with a safety pin if you so desired.

makes sense, i cant see any pin ones on the site though. I'm not interested in the fancy metal ones - I think everyone should only wear the cheap paper ones so everyone is equal and don't try to "out status" each other with the diamonte encrusted, gold leaf poppy.

I've only ever got the stem paper poppies for some reason, do shops have the pin ones as well?
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Rolandtheroadie Posts: 5,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 November 2015 at 8:19PM
    makes sense, i cant see any pin ones on the site though. I'm not interested in the fancy metal ones - I think everyone should only wear the cheap paper ones so everyone is equal and don't try to "out status" each other with the diamonte encrusted, gold leaf poppy.

I've only ever got the stem paper poppies for some reason, do shops have the pin ones as well?

It was always the pin ones we used to get round the doors, it's only in the past few years I've noticed a rise in the green stemmed ones.

Possibly another health and safety gone mad move.
    remembrance-day-poppy-28803195.jpg

The ones we normally get had a pin like the above, but the poppy was embossed paper.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    They always used to have a card full of pins with the stemmed ones, you'd buy your poppy and take your pin at the same time.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,796 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    There's always been a pin available with any poppy I've bought before, so that you can pin it to your clothing via the stem (you just put the pin in your clothing horizontally to make a gap that you can push the stem through). AS Savvy Sue says, there should be card of them in the collection tray.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure