Halloween

Options
2»

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    For a few years now we deliberately haven't answered the door on these occasions. And no good anyone coming here expecting sweets - we don't eat them therefore we don't buy them.

All was quiet, although when we went down the seafront we saw several groups of kids in costume with adults. There were supposed to be fireworks on the beach, but as it was foggy, I don't think it happened.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    beedeedee wrote: »
    Round here it seems to be that if you put a lit pumpkin outside - you are OK with Trick or Treaters (accompanied by their parents) to knock. If no pumpkin - no visitors.
    I think this should be the accepted rule everywhere.

Over 20 years ago we moved into a fairly new estate and the first Halloween I couldn't believe how many kids we had knocking at the door.

So the following year I was organised, bought loads of treat size multi bags - rolos, smarties, twix, milky bars, mars, buttons etc - and quite enjoyed seeing the local kids dressed up.

Later years, it seemed like they were bussing kids in from everywhere. :eek:

I had 4 hours of up-and-down to the door.
    At one point, whilst one set of kids was at the door, there were at least 4 groups waiting at the top of the drive so it got that it wasn't even worth sitting down again.

A couple of years ago - when all the neighbours kids that i knew had grown up, some little oik put his hand in my carrier bag when I said 'lots of differnt things in here, take one' and took a handful. I made him drop them, sent him off with a flea in his ear and have always made sure I'm out for every Halloween since.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've never had anybody knock on my door. It was a worry for me when my parents got elderly as they weren't used to it and I wondered what'd happen if they got their first ever knock from people with a bad attitude. Luckily it didn't ever happen.

This year, to be sure, I jammed a screwdriver in the gate so they couldn't set one foot on the land to get anywhere near the door! And I sat with the lights out.....

All I could've offered anybody would've been one tomato, a pack of cheese or a slice of frozen bread. Probably not their idea of a "treat".... tis mine though! Cheese/tomato toasties feature often on my menu.

I BLAME THE PARENTS!!
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I've never had anybody knock on my door. It was a worry for me when my parents got elderly as they weren't used to it and I wondered what'd happen if they got their first ever knock from people with a bad attitude. Luckily it didn't ever happen.

This year, to be sure, I jammed a screwdriver in the gate so they couldn't set one foot on the land to get anywhere near the door! And I sat with the lights out.....

All I could've offered anybody would've been one tomato, a pack of cheese or a slice of frozen bread. Probably not their idea of a "treat".... tis mine though! Cheese/tomato toasties feature often on my menu.

I BLAME THE PARENTS!!

didn't it start in America and has flown over the pond.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    spirit wrote: »
    I thought that too when it became really popular over here but I've since read it has Celtic roots.

When I was a kid (50+ years ago) we never ever celebrated Halloween.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,034 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    As I grew up in Scotland we did 'guising' - nothing nasty or horrible, just dressing up (not necessarily as anything ghostly) and doing a song or a poem. The rewards were mostly fruit and monkey nuts with the occasional thrupence sometimes.

Where we live now is very rural, only one four-year old visitor.
  • mumps
    mumps Posts: 6,285 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    spirit wrote: »

No, my mother was Irish and we always celebrated it, she said she had since she was a child which is just short of 100 years ago. As someone else said it was also celebrated in Scotland.

My mother thought it was strange that it wasn't celebrated here but I guess the English celebrated bonfire night which is so close.

I always get sweets and chocolate in but haven't had anyone come to the door for a few years.
    Sell £1500

2831.00/£1500
  • Redlady.....
    Options
    Here in Liverpool it's always been celebrated. We called it duck apple night when we were kids. My Mam and Dad used to keep any new pennies they came across to stuff the apples with. The star apple would have a tanner in it. Wonderful memories of both Halloween and Bonfire night.

Later when I had kids of my own it became Halloween, still the main feature of the night was ducking for apples with coins stuck in them. Halloween outfit consisted of a bin bag, witches hat and a bit of play makeup. I decorated the front room in a homemade fashion and after they'd been trick and treating, my own kids, and a few of their friends, would come back for the ducking and other games, then eating a homemade scary buffet (Witches Brew etc...) The last thing they did before going home was write a letter to (Father Christmas) and I 'd send it up the chimney of our coal fire.

It seems to have gone all American now with bought outfits, nights out for adults, and is, for me, a long way away from the English version.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure