silly question but a question nonetheless: bank details to employers

I have a joint account with my partner. I need to give this account details to my new employer. Do I give them the sort code, account number and my name only (as that's what I have on my debit card).

Or do I need to give them the sort code, account number and Mr. XXX and Ms. XXX as the account name?

As my salary is being paid into this, I don't want to mess this up and have my money accidentally go elsewhere.

Thank you.

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,134
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Only the account number & sort code are used to identify a bank account in this context. They don't need the name - are they asking for it?
  • Bradlad9
    Bradlad9 Posts: 32 Forumite
    They might want the name for a reference ?
    Save 12k in 2016 : #54 : £715.16 / £5,500
  • Cornucopia wrote: »
    Only the account number & sort code are used to identify a bank account in this context. They don't need the name - are they asking for it?

Yes, they gave me a form with a box for my sort code, account number and name.

The name made me question whether to put my name or my 'account name.'
  • Bradlad9 wrote: »
    They might want the name for a reference ?

As long as it doesn't affect where my salary goes, I guess I can use just my name as the reference.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,544
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    symphonies wrote: »
    Or do I need to give them the sort code, account number and Mr. XXX and Ms. XXX as the account name?

A cheque can be made out to either name and paid into a joint account but I always give both names when asked for the 'account name'.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I wonder why we're forever being told not to give anyone our Bank details when at one time we'd think nothing about signing a cheque and handing that out.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • SailorSam wrote: »
    I wonder why we're forever being told not to give anyone our Bank details when at one time we'd think nothing about signing a cheque and handing that out.

If you don't give your account details to people how do you expect to pay your bills and receive monies into it?
  • Mojisola wrote: »
    A cheque can be made out to either name and paid into a joint account but I always give both names when asked for the 'account name'.

So I guess it's a matter of preference? Thanks for letting me know.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,544
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »
    symphonies wrote: »
    So I guess it's a matter of preference?

If asked for the 'account name', I always give both names because that's what the account is called.
  • anoncol
    anoncol Posts: 982 Forumite
    Mojisola wrote: »
    If asked for the 'account name', I always give both names because that's what the account is called.

Its not though. When you open say a halifax joint account you open it as a sole first. Then you add a second account holder. So it has two 'account names'. Not one Mr&Mrs Smith.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure