PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Property with Japanese Knotweed- worth the risk?

Options
Hi everyone,

I am currently considering buying an ex local authority property as a buy to let but have discovered a previous attempt to purchase fell through as the mortgage was refused.
Although there was no mention in the advertising I found our that the garden has Japanese Knotweed so is considered unmortgageable (the estate agency, who had no knowledge, is very annoyed they weren't informed by the vendors).
I would probably be able to get enough together to buy without a mortgage but is it worth the risk?
Apparently the Knotweed in the garden has been treated by the vendors but it originates from an electricity substation next door which doesn't appear to have been treated.
any thoughts??

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Electricity dirstributors will be possibly be more responsive to their duties of care to ensure it doesn't spread than private individuals, and at least you know they have the funds if it comes to enforcement.

However, it has spread, so I'd guess it's perhaps difficult to prove origin.

In the first instance, I'd contact the electrical people to see how they respond and also check neighbouring gardens. The former should be open to entering into an eradication programme.Do it quickly, as JK will soon be going into hibernation mode.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mossfarr wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am currently considering buying an ex local authority property as a buy to let but have discovered a previous attempt to purchase fell through as the mortgage was refused.
    Although there was no mention in the advertising I found our that the garden has Japanese Knotweed so is considered unmortgageable (the estate agency, who had no knowledge, is very annoyed they weren't informed by the vendors).
    I would probably be able to get enough together to buy without a mortgage but is it worth the risk?
    Apparently the Knotweed in the garden has been treated by the vendors but it originates from an electricity substation next door which doesn't appear to have been treated.
    any thoughts??

I would be concerned about the electricity substation as well as the knotweed so I would not take the risk.
  • Mossfarr
    Mossfarr Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    thanks davesnave,
    as most of the neighbouring houses are still owned by the Housing Authority I assume they would also have been treated. The immediate neighbour is an occupied house which is in pretty shabby condition with overgrown gardens so probably not much help from there!
    I have never actually seen JN so don't know what to look for. The substation is densely covered by what looks like Ivy which hangs over the neighbouring gardens - I'm assuming that must be it.
    I am more concerned about future resale value of the property - albeit I am thinking long term (10-15 yrs min).
  • Davesnave
    Options
    JK is a self-supporting plant with hollow stems to about 2m. It's the roots that do damage, but not quite as scary as most red tops suggest.

It is controllable and eradication is possible, but an understanding of the life cycle, consistency and persistence are required. There is no need to dig, which I'd imagine would cause some problems by a sub station!

Pictures and basic info here, but these people are selling a service and this is no recommendation: http://www.ecocontrol.co.uk/gallery.asp

Bear in mind it will be turning yellow about now.
  • Davesnave
    Options
    ognum wrote: »
    I would be concerned about the electricity substation as well as the knotweed so I would not take the risk.
    How would that adversely affect a BTL ?
  • wwl
    wwl Posts: 316 Forumite
    Options
    ognum wrote: »
    I would be concerned about the electricity substation
    Why?
    Possible low-level audible hum and aesthetics of the building are the only things that could be of any real concern.
  • Mossfarr
    Options
    The presence of the electricity substation doesn't really bother me however there may be an access issue as the gateway to the substation opens onto the front drive of this property - very unusual as none of the others in the area do this.
    That was another issue I was looking into before I consider buying as I would want to fence of that side of the driveway to hide the railings(which are very substantial but not nice to look at).
    It doesn't sound like a good prospect really does it? LOL
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    wwl wrote: »
    Why?
    Possible low-level audible hum and aesthetics of the building are the only things that could be of any real concern.

My reading suggests the jury is still out as to whether living close to a sub station can cause health issues so I would avoid it, I would also avoid buying a property close to pylons and overhead wires.

It's my preference, it also may be other people's when you come to sell.
  • Marktheshark
    Options
    I would back off and await the auction if you have cash.
    This one is going to go for a birds song at auction once any "interested" buyers drop out.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • Mossfarr
    Options
    Hi marktheshark,

yes I was thinking along those lines - I just need to decide if I need all the hassle of not being able to sell in the future.
    Its a shame, its a good solid house which has been fully refurbished so good to go as a rental.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure