How to remove file icons from desktop

Options
Recently I was trying to copy all my WORD files onto an external hard disk and somehow (I haven't a CLUE what I did) icons for all the files are now on my desktop! I want to remove them (they're really cluttering up the desktop) but I'm nervous in case I delete the files by mistake. Can anyone advise me please?

Comments

• debitcardmayhem
    Options
    Were you trying to copy them or drag and drop ?
    First thing is to check they are in your Documents folder
    and they will still be %USER%/Desktop
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have you checked the files are also on your external drive and/or still also in your 'documents'? If so, should be fine to delete, but can't think how you did this unless you pasted them there by mistake!
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2015 at 1:11AM
    Options
    It's very easy to end up with a bunch of files on the desktop - maybe you missed the wastebasket when deleting them after copying or you missed folder when copying.

At least they are Word files so should be simple to keep a back-up just in case.

Right-click the empty desktop and sort by item type. Then move them to a folder. You can then copy that folder somewhere else or leave it.

Of course you don't want to end up managing multiple versions in different places - but moving them out of the way until you have time to check is straightforward.

(Alternatively you can use the Desktop folder's listing in a File Explorer window - that may be easier to sort and rearrange than directly on the desktop.)
  • pendragon_arther
    Options
    This can happen when the monitor refreshes when the files are selected and they get copied. You can use a free file duplicator program to find out if they've been copied.
    “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”
    ― Groucho Marx
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

if not sure about deleting, just create a new folder and drag them all in there, until ready to delete.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks everyone - appreciate the help. Yes, the oriignal files are still where they were - I was trying to create copies. I obviously just hit the wrong button somewhow ... :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure