Claims Question

Options
Recently a driver crashed into my mothers car

The damage whilst limited had to be repaired, my mother at the time foolishly as she was in a rush and causing a major obstruction took the womans name and number expecting this would be ok

She called the woman 3 times and left messages

After she ignored them she got her insurance company involved

The car is now fixed but the woman has continously ignored the phone calls and tesco are now advising that if the woman doesnt respond it will count as a striker off her protected no claims

Is this reasonable?

I mean yes she was stupid and she will accept the strike if need be, but surely a phone number and name along with car model and colour should be a bit for tesco to go on and trace the woman

I also think it would be worthwhile my mother reporting this incident to the police as the law states she must report the accident, given this woman is refusing to deal with the incident I wonder if the police would have a recourse against her.

cheers in advance for any advice forthcoming

Comments

• brazilianwax
    brazilianwax Posts: 9,438 Forumite
    Options

Is this reasonable?

I mean yes she was stupid and she will accept the strike if need be, but surely a phone number and name along with car model and colour should be a bit for tesco to go on and trace the woman

Had you said 'registration number' above I'd have said yes.

If the other party gave a false name and phone number, no-one is going to be able to find someone based on make and colour of car (unless it's extremely rare).

Policy documents usually tell you what to do if you have an accident. I don't see that there is much that the insurance company can or should do if your mother didn't follow this!
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • knowledgeman
    Options
    Had you said 'registration number' above I'd have said yes.

If the other party gave a false name and phone number, no-one is going to be able to find someone based on make and colour of car (unless it's extremely rare).

Policy documents usually tell you what to do if you have an accident. I don't see that there is much that the insurance company can or should do if your mother didn't follow this!

She reported the accident with all the details to them at the time

She made a mistake yes, but Im sure tesco have means to them to locate the owner of this phone number which my mum doesnt

Id imagine she will go down the path of reporting the incident to the police given this womans failure to respond and hoping they can locate her through the name and/or phone number

Shes learnt a lesson though for being too trusting and worse case is she looses one of her three strikes
  • brazilianwax
    Options
    Did your mother ever successfully speak to the other party??

If she has never successfully contacted her, how do you know the number is theirs???
  • knowledgeman
    Options
    Did your mother ever successfully speak to the other party??

If she has never successfully contacted her, how do you know the number is theirs???

She spoke to her at the time and not after

Shes assuming its right as are the insurance, on the basis no one has called back about the countless messages ( they reckon the tone of them would have had an innocent party calling back to advise its a wrong number)

They are of the opinion that this women is hiding/ being lazy

Obviously it could be a wrong number but lots of messages have been left
  • brazilianwax
    Options
    I'm betting the third party is not insured.

Might be worth seeing if there is any CCTV footage of the area so that the numberplate details could be found.
  • knowledgeman
    Options
    I'm betting the third party is not insured.

Might be worth seeing if there is any CCTV footage of the area so that the numberplate details could be found.

It was a 25k car and she was very formal business suit and that so I cant see that being the case

Her car was undamaged so I think she is just trying her luck

Im sure a message from a police officer advising she would be reported to the procurator would get a return call quick enough:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure