paying foreign transaction using credit card in paypal

Hi - I have a credit card that has zero loading for foreign transaction fee. So say I want to buy something online from France from a French website, and I pay for my goods via paypal (but select my zero loading card in paypal). What exchange rate do I pay? My credit card's or paypal's?

Thanks.

Comments

• lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I believe it's paypal's rate.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You can choose to have Euros charged to your card and then it will be the visa/masterdcard rate with zero loading.
    The link on the paypal payment page is something like "currency conversion options" and it's quite small print so it's easy to miss if you aren't looking for it.

Note that you'll lose some protection if using paypal rather than a credit card directly (although appreicate paypal might be the only option offereed).
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Yes you can choose which rate to use
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 29 October 2015 at 3:48PM
    lisyloo wrote: »
    You can choose to have Euros charged to your card and then it will be the visa/masterdcard rate with zero loading.
    The link on the paypal payment page is something like "currency conversion options" and it's quite small print so it's easy to miss if you aren't looking for it.
    Yes you can choose which rate to use
    I cannot check this myself, but there was a report (possibly wrong) that Paypal removed this option: PayPal thieving again?

And even in the past, when it definitely was available, this option was well hidden and many people struggled to find it.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've used it relatively recently.
    That thread doesn't look definitive to me either way.
    And even in the past, when it definitely was available, this option was well hidden and many people struggled to find it.
    I would agree that if you're not looking for it, then it's easy to miss - I've done it myself.
    However if you are actively looling for a link like "currency conversion options" on the payment review page then it's hard to understand why or how you would proceed until you'd located it.
    So if you know it's there and what you're looking for then it shouldn't be an issue.
  • glentoran99
    grumbler wrote: »
    I cannot check this myself, but there was a report (possibly wrong) that Paypal removed this option: PayPal thieving again?

Ive used it within the last month, If I remember correctly it was just below were you chose method of payment
  • glentoran99
    just checked, its just below where you select funding method it says currency conversion options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure