Landlord has received a CCJ

Options
Hi there,

Long time reader first time poster :D

Recently my landlord was issued a CCJ at the address my girlfriend and I are renting (though a separate letting agency).

I'd like to know if anyone can confirm if this will or will not affect our credit rating. Most people seem to ~know~ bad credit ratings go onto the address. I used to ~know~ this as a fact, but my letting agent has assured me that is no longer the case with CCJs and it only goes on the name so it will not affect me or my partner at all. So maybe I don't ~know~ as much as I thought I did lol.
That said my letting agent has been full of total balderdash in the past to the point I feel like I need to do some web based research rather than believe them at their word. Unfortunately multiple searches have not given me anything concrete and I was hoping someone here may know the facts. Or at least know who I can get in touch with to find out.

I really appreciate any help with this,

-Greg

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Yes, CCJ is against the person, not the address. It will only be on the credit record of THAT person, not anyone else at or associated with the address.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • matttye
    matttye Posts: 4,828 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    Yes, CCJ is against the person, not the address. It will only be on the credit record of THAT person, not anyone else at or associated with the address.

Unless you are linked financially with said person e.g. Have a joint account together.

Unlikely to be relevant here but just thought I'd mention it.
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • ricardinho88
    Options
    matttye wrote: »
    Unless you are linked financially with said person e.g. Have a joint account together.

Unlikely to be relevant here but just thought I'd mention it.

Lenders would take it into account when any applications for credit were made by the person with the CCJ, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't appear on a financial association's profile as a CCJ in their name.

I could be wrong though. In fact I probably am. It has been a long day.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warm feeling that it brings
  • patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Options
    No the CCJ will not affect your credit rating etc. HOWEVER, you should be aware that if this is for a significant amount it COULD (only could) affect his ownership of the house you live in. We are talking multiple thousands here. Do you know what the CCJ is for? If it is for a couple of hundred pounds worth of catalogue bill - forget it. If it is because he has not paid the mortgage then you could have a problem. But you will NOT have a problem with credit - that is his problem alone.
  • DandelionPatrol
    Options
    GregM85 wrote: »
    ~Recently my landlord was issued a CCJ at the address my girlfriend and I are renting
    How do you know?

If you have been reading his mail, perhaps you saw the claim forms? Did you pass those on?
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,062 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    How do you know?

If you have been reading his mail, perhaps you saw the claim forms? Did you pass those on?

Presumably, the OP has passed it on.

As above, it won't affect the residents of the address, only the owner, as a CCJ is a personal matter.
    💙💛 💔
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport