Scottish Power Default

Options
Hello,

I've just looked at my credit file for the first time and there's a default on there from Scottish Power for £117 dating back to 2011. This was when I switched supplier to Npower.

I have been at the same address for the past four years and have not received any bills or letters stating that the account was in arrears. In fact, I don't understand how the transfer was completed if the account was in arrears?

I will happily pay the £117 if it is due but I am concerned about the fact that default will sit on my file for another two years. Scottish Power are surely at fault here?

Is there anything I can do to get that removed once the debt is satisfied - assuming it is indeed due?
October Wins: Skin care cream exclusive to Harrods, £50 Amazon voucher, bottle of Bacardi Oakheart.

Comments

• David_White
    Options
    First thing to do is speak to Scottish Power, they may be reasonable and allow you to settle the debt/have the default removed.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    First thing to do is speak to Scottish Power, they may be reasonable and allow you to settle the debt/have the default removed.

Scottish Power and reasonable do not go together.

Every property I have had with them I have switched suppliers on pre pay meters and they claim I owe them because their estimation of my bills is more than I paid (as they go by how many rooms are in a property rather than how many people live there)
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Complain saying that if anything had been owed that you were unaware of, then it was unfair and against ICO guidance for them to place a default on your credit file without them at least telling you there was a debt owed, and giving you a warning and chance to pay.

That unless they remove it you will be taking them to the energy ombudsman and the ICO.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure