We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Travel Insurance Cancellation Cover

Options
Due to be travelling to Barbados at the end of September and want to know that if the holiday is cancelled due to for example a hurricane if the operator would pay out (Virgin) as the holiday cannot be taken or if I would have to take out cancellation cover on my own travel insurance, or if neither would pay out as it's an act of God? :confused:

Thanks.

Paul.

Comments

• TankEngine
    Options
    Barbados does not tend to get hurricanes. Been there quite a few times in the hurricane season and only had rain and a bit wind.
  • oranabana
    oranabana Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    not related to hurricanes, but probably falling into a similiar category. I am trying to find a travel insurance for my friends, who is looking to visit Italy. If they have their visa refused, then they hope to get the money for their flights back.

Would European Travel Insurance (like from Columbus) cover such an event?

Many Thanks
  • Labman_2
    Labman_2 Posts: 952 Forumite
    Options
    oranabana wrote: »
    not related to hurricanes, but probably falling into a similiar category. I am trying to find a travel insurance for my friends, who is looking to visit Italy. If they have their visa refused, then they hope to get the money for their flights back.

Would European Travel Insurance (like from Columbus) cover such an event?

Many Thanks

Not quite understanding you. Assuming your friend needs a visa, (is there a reason it could be refused?) I think the process should be 'get visa' then 'book flights' & therefore I don't think insurance would be interested.
  • oranabana
    oranabana Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Labman wrote: »
    Not quite understanding you. Assuming your friend needs a visa, (is there a reason it could be refused?) I think the process should be 'get visa' then 'book flights' & therefore I don't think insurance would be interested.

I wish it was that simple. In order get a visa from UK to Europe some nationals require to show the following when applying for visa (they need all the below, BEFORE they can even apply for a visa):

- airline tickets
    - hotel bookings
    - proof of financial support
    - invitation letter
    - travel insurance

The issuing country can ofcourse refuse the visa on all sorts of grounds. So the money spent on the above may well be wasted (Did I mention how crap that is?! ).

So the question would be, if they get their visa refused is the insurance going to pay out for cancelled flights?

Anyone?!
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    So the question would be, if they get their visa refused is the insurance going to pay out for cancelled flights?

Anyone?!

I very much doubt if any travel insurance covers cancellation because of refusal of visa. But check the small print just in case.
  • RibAd
    RibAd Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    I wish it was that simple. In order get a visa from UK to Europe some nationals require to show the following when applying for visa (they need all the below, BEFORE they can even apply for a visa):

- airline tickets
    - hotel bookings
    - proof of financial support
    - invitation letter
    - travel insurance

The issuing country can ofcourse refuse the visa on all sorts of grounds. So the money spent on the above may well be wasted (Did I mention how crap that is?! ).

Anyone?!

Simple answer: NO. Unless it's exceptionally fantastic cover.

Why? as you stated yourself, a visa can be rejected for a variety of reasons. additionally, the person getting the visa could have missed their visa appointment. It's the treated as the same as though you lost your passport before due to travel/it expired/havent got replacement. It's not the travel insurance's problem that you havent got the visa granted (as you could be considered a "non desirable" if you know what I mean) People applying for visas should be aware of this.

And yes, often when applying for visas they do require that you already have the flights, accomodation and the travel insurance and have written proof of this (eg letter from travel insurance company). and if the document has a mis-spelling of a name or wrong date of birth, or does not have a signature then they can refuse it as eveidence.
    And if the date for the visa appointment is missed, it's quite hard (so I've heard anyway) to get another one at short notice.
  • RibAd
    RibAd Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    Bloke wrote: »
    Due to be travelling to Barbados at the end of September and want to know that if the holiday is cancelled due to for example a hurricane if the operator would pay out (Virgin) as the holiday cannot be taken or if I would have to take out cancellation cover on my own travel insurance, or if neither would pay out as it's an act of God? :confused:

Thanks.

Paul.

In general terms, hurricanes, natural disasters, terrorist attacks, etc can have ad hoc underwriting and would be cascaded down from the underwriters to staff on the phones after the incident has happened.

Often it would be viewed on a case by case basis if there is no catasrophe/disaster/adverse weather condition cover in place within the policy wording.

However if the policy does have an exclision for adverse weather conditions then there is no cover provided.

If it's a case that a situation like this has happened and the person hasn't yet travelled, then they ought to speak to the tour op/travel agent in the first instance to try to rearrange trip dates and hotel bookings.

If the incident has happened, and a person does not have the trip booked as of yet, then any claim relating to that incident would be excluded.
  • bazzerb
    Options
    Bloke
    Try this website, they explain exactly what is covered and are very cheap (Kids free). Would love to hear any feedback on the company from anyone
    Baz
    www.travelinsurance.co.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills