Incorrect defaults and missed payments?

Options
Hi
I'm new to this site. So nice to meet you all :)

Back in 2012 my husband and I came into financial difficulties. We set up a dmp and payment was agreed with the creditors and received from dec 2012. Only two payments we're missed to these creditors whilst it was being set up October and November 2012.

Upon recently checking our credit files (as we would love a mortgage) we have noticed that even though the creditors are receiving the monies each month through the dmp they are still continuing to default us each month! We have managed to clear quite a few and are aiming for the rest to be cleared by the end of this year.
Are we within our rights to ask these defaults to be removed? I completely understand the missed payments and a default back in 2012 but surely they should still not be defaulting us?
Also we have had no update on our records to say that the money is being paid! So it looks as though (from a lenders perspective) we have just left and ignored the debt.
We're just after the best possible advice as to where we stand and what we can do.

Thanks

Megan

Comments

• chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    its just a status update, not continues default. noddle & callcredit have a habbit
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Grovesmeg48
    Options
    But when our credit report is being looked at by lenders, surely the default will show from each month?
    Or when it is settled will the other defaults disappear and just go back to original date of default?
    Thank you for your reply
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But when our credit report is being looked at by lenders, surely the default will show from each month?
    Or when it is settled will the other defaults disappear and just go back to original date of default?
    Thank you for your reply

The account is in default, this is correct. Reporting it as "in default" each month is correct.

It will be removed from your file 6 years after the default date.
  • Grovesmeg48
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.
    So it will default even when agreed payment is received?
    When will the default clear? Is it 6 years from the first default or 6 years from the last default?
    Thanks
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    The status history reflects how you are paying under the original agreement, not how you may be paying under any informal arrangement, DMP or otherwise, you may have come after that original was defaulted on.

Once you default on the original, you can't 'undefault', so it stays a D or 8 from then onwards. Lenders checking know this, so will not see it as anything abnormal or that you are not now paying anything.

While they can't record your DMP payments directly on the file in the status history, the creditors should update the remaining balance regularly to show it is going down.

The account, default, status history before and after the original default, and in fact ALL record of the accounts will drop off your file 6 years from the initial recorded default date.

See:-> How long do accounts/defaults remain on your credit file?

and

-> How long will my DMP affect my credit report?
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure