London Capital and Finance

edited 1 September 2016 at 1:14PM in Savings & Investments
2.1K replies 432.3K views

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They are member of FCA reg no 722603 - whatever that means.

It means very little if the product being sold is not a regulated retail packaged product.
    I am trying to keep safe, savings for personal health care in future as I have life-quality-reducing and life-limiting condition.

So, what they offer is totally unsuitable for you.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • SledgerSledger Forumite
    106 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    A previous comment made here states that LCF record on interest for the last 3 years is sound. I have just received my due interest and assuming this trend continues, after 3 years I will have received 24% back in interest l(less tax) reducing a 100% capital risk loss as stated elsewhere on this forum.. Assuming typical interests earned elsewhere are 1%+ compared to LCF 8% were frozen, and LCF continued in business, the break even risk free point to recoup my capital is about 15-16 years (Ignoring Interest compounding and after Tax) . its then interest $$$$$$$ plain sailing from there on with the " secured" capital being returned as a bonus. Any legitimate business wants to succeed and grow and the fundamentals . of matching lenders with investors. and get a operating margin seems sound. and LCF appear to be growing as per their expectations. The hard bit to accept here is our conditioning to anybody offering high interest way above the norm sets up alarm bells and caution. I am remaining positive with LCF and have taken that risk
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sledger wrote: »
    A previous comment made here states that LCF record on interest for the last 3 years is sound. I have just received my due interest and assuming this trend continues, after 3 years I will have received 24% back in interest l(less tax) reducing a 100% capital risk loss as stated elsewhere on this forum.. Assuming typical interests earned elsewhere are 1%+ compared to LCF 8% were frozen, and LCF continued in business, the break even risk free point to recoup my capital is about 15-16 years (Ignoring Interest compounding and after Tax) . its then interest $$$$$$$ plain sailing from there on with the " secured" capital being returned as a bonus. Any legitimate business wants to succeed and grow and the fundamentals . of matching lenders with investors. and get a operating margin seems sound. and LCF appear to be growing as per their expectations. The hard bit to accept here is our conditioning to anybody offering high interest way above the norm sets up alarm bells and caution. I am remaining positive with LCF and have taken that risk

If legitimate, why do they market unregulated 100% capital at loss investments in a style that is designed to confuse savers looking for fixed term deposits?

Interest rates on risk based investments generally reflect the risk of default when compared to risk free assets.

It is fine that you are happy with a 100% loss based unregulated investment. You know that you could lose the lot and if and when that happens (as has happened with similar companies taking such an approach) then you can afford to lose it as nobody would put a lot of money in this sort of thing. General guidance is no more than 5% of your investable assets. Losing 5% wont hurt much.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bigadajbigadaj Forumite
    11.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The problem is that the return isn't that great for the risk you are taking on.

You compare this with p2p in your other post, but I'm invested in a number of p2p loans across three platforms it's returns of 10-14%, all of which is secured on property, assets, cars, pawned items etc.
  • jimjamesjimjames Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A previous comment made here states that LCF record on interest for the last 3 years is sound. I have just received my due interest and assuming this trend continues, after 3 years I will have received 24% back in interest l(less tax) reducing a 100% capital risk loss as stated elsewhere on this forum.. I am remaining positive with LCF and have taken that risk

You seem to be missing one critical word - namely IF. Have a read of the other similar "investments" on the forum, and you might change your mind about the chances of getting back even 24% of your investment.

It's always positive until you find you can no longer contact them and have not received any money back.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Is the company really a PLC ?

Financial information on the company available on line for past year:
    London Capital & Finance Plc
    The Old Coach House Eridge Park, Eridge Green, Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN3 9JS,
    Status ACTIVE
    Type Other
    Cash £8
    Total Assets £1,252,404
    Liabilities £-695,006
    Net Worth £40,944
  • google searched this post, interesting read if this isn't the best investment oppo then you mention P2P options can you guide us on them ? live thread maybe
  • Eco_MiserEco_Miser Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Search this forum for "P2P". There are threads for each of the major platforms.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century