We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Leylandi

Options
mrs_T
mrs_T Posts: 1,017 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 22 October 2015 at 3:59PM in Gardening
We have cut down a 14m long leylandi sloping boundary hedge which our neighbour also asked us to remove. It had been put in by the previous owner of my property. The neighbours are not willing to contribute for a replacement fence and do not want us to get the stumps dug out as this would "damage their garden".

We have now had two quotes, one said he'd put in a fence without taking out the stumps/roots (we would take the stumps down to the ground and treat them) the other was double the price and only wanted the job if he could come in with a digger and take the stumps out first.

If I go with quote one and ask him for a guarantee (we are looking at £2k) is the fence likely to stay up? What's your experience? TIA

Comments

• wellused
    wellused Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure that I recently read that once trees like leylandi are dead the roots quickly rot away so if the stumps are treated I would think that you won't have to worry about them again.
  • I_have_spoken
    Options
    Sounds like the neighbours want to have their cake and eat it!

A digger isn't such a good idea.

However, getting 'the man in' using a stump grinder will not damage their garden but will allow a fence to be put back and the area planted in the spring without ugly stumps being there for years.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The stumps will not re-grow, whether you treat them or not, but the size of them might be a problem, depending on whether they will get in the way of inserting posts etc. Clearly, one fencing contractor thinks they might, but it could also be a case of just not wanting the job if it's awkward.

As to whether the fence will stay up: depends on the type, quality and expertise of the person erecting it. Too many variables!

I beg to differ with IHS, because I know how long established leylandii stumps hang around, even ground down, but it really depends on how you intend to use this piece of garden. A digger can chop sideways-growing roots before lifting the stump, so danger to the neighbour's garden could be minimised if that is an issue. Getting the digger there without causing damage elsewhere is the main thing I'd consider.

I can't see this boundary, but as a gardener I'd probably want to use the space, so the roots would come out, and if the neighbour wasn't prepared to contribute to a good fence, I might plant a hedge that pleased me instead.
  • mrs_T
    mrs_T Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. We currently have lawn up to the boundary which we will stick with. I think we'll go with leaving in and treating the stumps if the fencing contractor can guarantee he can work round them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure