Worst case scenario please? DLA/PIP/WTC

Options
Would appreciate any advice on what the possible scenarios would be for someone currently in receipt of DLA lower rate mobility and WTC with the disability element, who works part-time (earning above NMW hourly rate but not full-time hours), if the application they are due to make for PIP is declined? I do not know much about benefits and it's not something she can easily look into herself (has never used a computer as she is visually impaired, registered with the local authority for some decades)

If PIP is declined as far as I understand it she will then in turn lose the disability element of WTC, is that correct? She also gets some housing benefit and council tax benefit (not full amounts, pays around half I think with what the overall costs are on those), would she lose this or still be in receipt of it as a low earner? Am I right in thinking she would have to try to find far more hours worth of work to get by, or try and get employment with a company rather than being self-employed? She has only ever worked as self-employed in the last 30 or so years, cannot drive or use a computer so I am not sure how attractive a prospect she would be to an employer. She is nearing retirement age also which I believe won't help.

I am not sure what her options are for anything else but wanted to get an idea as I believe she may be in for quite a shock (when taking into account forthcoming tax credit changes anyway as well as the transition from DLA to PIP). Would like to be able to help her prepare for this so thanks for any input.

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,952 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    she could get i t courses for free via the job centre.

I am blind and use a computer
  • starburst123
    starburst123 Posts: 43 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2015 at 8:13PM
    Options
    The criteria for the disability element is here - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/460516/TC956.pdf

Does she meet any other benefit conditions at condition 3?

If not the disability element would stop and she would need to work at least 30hrs per week (assuming she is single under 60 and no children).

I did not realise housing benefit could have a disability premium and am not sure if that applies to her - I would need to find out. The following text is what confuses me - does this mean that the disability element as previously paid means she can continue to get it even if she doesn't get PIP?

" The period "some earlier time" can allow continuing entitlement to the disability element long after the qualifying sickness or disability-related benefit stopped being paid"

She is widowed, 62, and has adult children. She meets criteria 1 & 2 but the third criteria is what has thrown me

nannytone wrote: »
    she could get i t courses for free via the job centre.

I am blind and use a computer

Nannytone have you always been blind or is this something that has come on later in life? I guess it isn't easy for you to use a computer but do you use it for work or just for recreation? She has never been offered anything like that, I didn't know it was actually possible
  • starburst123
    Options
    As she's over 60 she only needs to work 16hrs to claim WTC.

The part you have copied appears to relate to disabled persons tax credits which I believe was prior to new tax credits in 2003.

Thankyou for that - I don't understand it well at all! I think I need to do some further reading, but I guess then even if she does lose the disability element (even though her condition will not have changed) she will still be eligible for some WTC though at a lower rate. She can try and find more work to make up the lost money I think, she was just unsure if she would lose all WTC entitlement completely. Really grateful for your advice
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,952 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did not realise housing benefit could have a disability premium and am not sure if that applies to her - I would need to find out. The following text is what confuses me - does this mean that the disability element as previously paid means she can continue to get it even if she doesn't get PIP?

" The period "some earlier time" can allow continuing entitlement to the disability element long after the qualifying sickness or disability-related benefit stopped being paid"

She is widowed, 62, and has adult children. She meets criteria 1 & 2 but the third criteria is what has thrown me

Nannytone have you always been blind or is this something that has come on later in life? I guess it isn't easy for you to use a computer but do you use it for work or just for recreation? She has never been offered anything like that, I didn't know it was actually possible
    on the whole, very little is 'offered'. you have to dig about and find out what is available and actually ask to be referred for things.
    i have a progressive genetic condition , but had some useful sight for the majority of my life ( i'm 52 now)

i worked until the last 6 years, and gave up work not because of my sight, but because my ex partners worked made it difficult to continue.

i consider myself to be employable even now that i am blind, but employers don't see things the same way.

i wasn't insinuating that your friend should be able to work, but that it is possible for even blind people to use computers using speaking software.

it takes more effort and is slower than when i was sighted, but it enables me a degree of independence that helps me feel like a normal, functioning part of society
  • starburst123
    Options
    Nannytone that is really interesting to know - I had a feeling perhaps you may have been sighted at some point so had experience of a computer already, however that's not the case for this lady who has had the same poor vision all her life and therefore never used a computer. It may well be something she may like to attempt - if she didn't find it too overwhelming! I will mention it to her. I'm glad you managed to regain your ability to use the computer and hope you do come across a willing employer if that's what you desire.
  • sleepless_saver
    Options
    This benefit calculator can be used to check out what will happen in the situation you are asking about, and also to look at her other options depending on whether she wants to continue working when she reaches state pension age.
  • 0191farrow
    Options
    Hi this is my first time of posting, my husband has recorded the higher rate of DLA for the last 6 years. We have completed the pip application form and am waiting for any correspondence about 6 weeks ago.
    It is causing massive stress and worry, my partners condition has deteriated since his last access menu, I'm due to order our new car at the start of December and don't know whether to do that or not? Can anybody help?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure