Life Insurance wrongly sold by Prudential.

Options
Hi

Just a quick question if I may ask,

My Mum was sold a life insurance policy through Prudential roughly 20 -25 years ago which expired roughly a year ago,

Paying £6 monthly my Mum was told by a Prudential advisor who came to the house that the policy could be cashed in at any time and would run till her death. Prudential stopped the policy roughly a year ago and advised my Mum that this was what she was sold and signed for. My Mum would never of agreed to that type of policy to begin with.
We did try to appeal putting this request in writing advising Mum was wrongly sold the policy. But we gave up too easily after they said no and did no more.

Q; Can they do this? if not what steps should we take to recover funds.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks Paula

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Q; Can they do this? if not what steps should we take to recover funds.
    Its pre-regulation so unless there is some evidence to show a blatent mis-sale (which is hard on a life assurance as even today it is only light touch regulated) then you are unlikely to get anywhere with it.

Life cover is also quite hard to mis-sale as you would have to show it wasnt needed.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • PJ1967
    PJ1967 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Dunstonh

Many thanks for your advice, Prudential did supply us with a copy of the original signed agreement, but it was so poorly printed it was un-readable.
    I think Mum should just try and put it down to experience as you say its a hard to prove a mis-sale.

Thanks Paula
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport