Help what next?? PLEASE HELP..

Options
I have just found out today that my car insurance company, Shelia's Wheels, have cancelled my policy. All payments have been made. However they cancelled the policy due to proof of no claims bonus being received. I have tried in vain to get this information from my previous insurers, HSBC, and even gave Sheila Wheels all my details as they offered to contact my insurers themselves.

Today I called to inform them that I had finally recieved my proof of no claims bonus and the whole story unfolded that the policy had been cancelled. SW are refusing to budge on this matter saying that they sent a letter and recieved no contact from me. This is infact incorrect. A letter was received noftifying me that they have to cancel my policy with eeffect from 10 August if they didnt hear from me. I contacted them immediately, before the deadline, to inform them that i was still waiting for details. They then informed me that they would liase with my old insurance providers to get the details themselves. I gave them all the necessary details and they informed me not to worry they would resolve this. Instead, they cancelled my policy despite my conversation with them. Having questionned them today why they done this -- they simply stated that they havent had any contact from me since June and therefore they were forced to cancel my insurance !! Despite my phone bill stating otherwise. I have evidence of numberous phone calls. However in the meantime until I provide this they won't budge.

Are Insurance companies allowed to do this? Whats my rights here? I am desperate for any advice.

Comments

• olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They can cancel policies and have a right to as you didn't provide the evidence they needed in the timescale stated so they could insure you. (Your renewal document from your old insurer should have listed your NCB.)

You have to go through their complaints procedure which will be listed in the policy document. They will probably give you a pro-rata refund.

I'm begining to learn that if you have a problem with an insurance company always follow up any phone conversations with a letter sent by recorded delivery/fax then you have written proof of what is said as at the moment it is your word agains theirs, and because more than one person deals with a file they don't remember what is said or write correct notes.

In the mean time get insurance from elsewhere so you are covered.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure