Accidental purchase

Hi. I understand that if I make a small accidental purchase on a balance transfer card I will be charged interest on the purchase amount from day one - can I make an immediate payment to cover the purchase and thus stop any further interest being charged.

Regards

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Depends on the card provider. Some will only allocate payments to statemented transactions.

Shouldn't have happened though, because the BT card shouldn't have been in your purse/wallet! ;)
  • downshifter98
    downshifter98 Posts: 383
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 18 October 2015 at 8:47PM
    It hasn't actually happened (yet) but just realised that a card that now has a balance transfer was used (before the bt was made) to book a one night hotel stay next week - no charge will be made until at the hotel and I'm hoping I can just switch to my current cc but it just got me wondering....the balance transfer card is Barclaycard.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    the balance transfer card is Barclaycard.
    Take a look at your T&Cs, specifically the 'allocation of payments' section.
  • Just discovered it's easy to change cc details with booking.com - phew. Thanks for advice.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    edited 20 October 2015 at 1:30AM
    If you do accidentally use the card it is no big deal really. Wait until next statement date. DO NOT PAY BEFORE THE NEXT STATEMENT. When the new statement has been issued immediately pay the amount that you have spent and any interest shown. The payment will be allocated to the interest and purchase not the balance transfer amount. Yes you will pay interest on the purchase for the number of days that it was on your account. The interest charged will be minimal. If the hotel room cost say £100 for the night and even if that purchase was on the account for a whole month the interest charged would be unlikely to exceed £2.
    Also don't forget that the payment you make will count towards/cover your minimum payment for the month so you will have saved yourself some or all of the minimum payment (which of course reduces the 0% balance). This is either good or bad depending on your viewpoint but you can always pay more if you want.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure