First direct

Recently wrote to First Direct with the MSE bank charge reclaim template with no information about when I had an account with FD. They wrote back to say that my account closed in September 2004 and that they did not keep statements to show the interest I was charged that far back. My question is has anyone else had this response from any bank and is this a valid reason for not responding positively to a claim.
Would welcome any help/advice.
Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    My question is has anyone else had this response from any bank and is this a valid reason for not responding positively to a claim.

Claim for what? you didnt say what basis you were claiming.

it cant be unfair bank charges as that doesnt work any more.
    It cant be current financial hardship as you dont bank with them currently.
    That just leaves incorrect application of charges but in most cases the charges are correctly made.

Yes, having no record is a valid reason.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • You don't have a claim. The banks won the court case on charges years ago. They are expected to give a sympathetic hearing to their current customers who are in financial hardship but since your account was closed 11 years ago they can just say 'on your bike'.
  • thanks for your responses
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport