We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Where can we get hens from?

Options
fuzzgun19
fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
We are setting up a space on our allotment for some hens.

Could anyone suggest where we can buy some hens from?
I Hate Jobsworths!!!

Comments

• pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Would you consider rehoming some rescued ex-battery hens?
    http://www.thehenshouse.co.uk/index.html
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • Big_Bird_4
    Options
    Suppliers often advertise in the back of Gardening magazines like Grow Your Own. Take a notebook to your local WH Smith.
    Rescuing ex-battery hens is a very nice thing to do. But be aware that they'd only give you about half as many eggs per bird as you could expect from decent pullets from a breeder. You'd need to keep/feed twice as many for the same number of eggs.
  • fuzzgun19
    fuzzgun19 Posts: 7,767 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks, I will look into battery hens.

We are looking into getting about 6, so maybe I could get 3 battery and 3 from a breeder..
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
  • Big_Bird_4
    Options
    Your allotment is going to love all that chicken poo. It's rocket fuel for the compost heap. :D
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You might want to google for 'chicken tractor' to find the Gallery by Katy. It has some great pictures of pens that would be ideal for keeping hens on an allotment.

There are several advantages to having a moveable hen ark not least is that you avoid build up of disease on any particular spot of ground. You can simply move the pen to the next area of ground to be manured, scratched over and generally weed seeded and de-bugged by the hens.

I would recommend though that you fit a layer of large mesh to the bottom of the ark to prevent rats and foxes having too easy an access to your poultry. It won't deter the hens from scratching about but may well save their lives one day. Good luck and enjoy all those lovely organic fresh eggs.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fuzzgun19 wrote: »
    Thanks, I will look into battery hens.

We are looking into getting about 6, so maybe I could get 3 battery and 3 from a breeder..

The trouble is with ex-battery hens is that they are coming to the end of their 'laying' life.
  • SUESMITH_2
    SUESMITH_2 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    Options
    have you looked at river cottage forums? there is lots of good advice on there. http://www.rivercottage.net/ http://forum.rivercottage.net/index.php
    'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    Options
    It seems obvious but just double check with your council that it is OK to keep livestock on your allotment. I know that ours don't allow it.

Good luck.
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • Alison_Cross
    Options
    I'd LOVE to keep a couple of hens, but my hubby has been listening to some farming friends who draw their eyebrows down and frown into their beer whenever I suggest getting just a tiny pair of hens. They said that where there are hens, there's rats...... Anyone got anything that I could say to hubby to persuade him to let me keep a teeny, tiny pair of chooks?! Anyone got chooks and not got the accompanying rodents?!
  • steady__eddie
    steady__eddie Posts: 1,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    Options
    I used to keep bantams years ago and I never had any probs with rodents (except at election times when they came round canvassing). I kept a droppings board under the perch in the roost which I cleaned out every morning and I dug the run over every weekend. I kept the corn in a recycled 5 litre plastic paint bucket which had a snap on lid so nothing could get at it. The same as every other pet, an acceptable standard of hygiene is req'd.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure