MSE News: Government renews calls for energy price cuts

in Energy
8 replies 1.3K views
The big six energy firms face continued pressure from ministers to cut bills as wholesale prices remain low...
Read the full story:

Government renews calls for energy price cuts

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• Bark01Bark01 Forumite
    859 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    "On the average bill, it's about 46% of the cost – so there are some costs which aren't going down, which are actually going up, so we have to bear that in mind.

"But actually, if you shop around most bills are £100 less than they were this time last year."

So in short, some costs are going down some cost are going up but bills are going down.
  • NittyGrittyNittyGritty Forumite
    925 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    its funny really, when wholesale prices show a sudden increase then the big 6 are there like a flash to hike prices,

but when they fall, they seem to drag their heels and pretty much do nothing to lower prices
  • lstar337lstar337 Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Government sets policy's that drive up energy costs, then moans at energy companies to reduce bills.

Interesting system they have there.
  • cifpowercifpower Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    And when government changes policy to reduce green subsidies to try and reduce bills people get laid off.
  • lstar337 wrote: »
    Government sets policy's that drive up energy costs, then moans at energy companies to reduce bills.
    Yes, assume you mean the scrapping of the Zero Carbon Homes programme which means we are still building houses that require heating and are locking in future generations to more of this nonsense.
  • This article could just as easily be entitled "Government is p*ssing in the wind*.

I do agree though that the government is being slightly disingenuous by calling for price reductions whilst having policies which push the cost up. Governments of both major parties are guilty of this just as they are guilty of kicking the can down the road and risking the nightmare scenario where we don't have sufficient power in Winter.

This has been declining for years, and they've know FOR YEARS which power stations are closing when and still they continue to sit on their hands.

I'm not sure nationalisation is the answer but Ofgem is hopeless, the tariffs are still designed not to be clear and the companies are generally less than honest with consumers.

I don't know what the answer is, at this point I'd settle for clear pricing.
  • PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    How low do they want it to be?

I am quite happy with 2.802p/10.860p per kWh, including VAT.

I see EDF is doing 2.668p/10.710p for gas, so there is room to go down further.

Inflation adjusted, it must be getting to be as cheap as 15 years ago.
  • ConsumeristConsumerist Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me that energy suppliers, particularly the smaller suppliers, have significantly reduced prices for those who are interested but what the big six have not done is to significantly reduce prices for those who just can't be bothered.

When it comes to government ministers "putting pressure" on the energy suppliers, King Canute comes to mind.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals