Price of games now!

So I excitedly looked at pre-ordering Fallout 4 and Assassins Creed Syndicate for Xbox1, 69.99 and 79.99. So thats £150 for 2 games...:eek: back in the day you could get a console for that!

Its lucky then I wont be buying SW Battlefront after playing the beta....
Total Credit Used...=........£9,000 / £52,700
Mortgage..............=........£138,000 , 20 Years left.
:starmod:CC cashback for this year..=........£112.88 £205.81 banked in 2015
:starmod:YNAB User & Mortgage Free Wannabe
:starmod::A19/03/16

Replies

• Assassins Syndicate on Amazon for £44.99 or £54.99 for the Rooks edition. that's for the PS4. Not sure if Xbox1 is the same price though.
  • they have'nt gone up that much in real terms , i remember paying £50 for mortal kombat when it 1st come out on the sega megadrive
    but agreed the price now for limited/ultiate edtions with extra DLC is crazy but then again the games are aimed more at adults now with plenty of disposable income
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    38.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    uncreative wrote: »
    So I excitedly looked at pre-ordering Fallout 4 and Assassins Creed Syndicate for Xbox1, 69.99 and 79.99. So thats £150 for 2 games...:eek: back in the day you could get a console for that!

Its lucky then I wont be buying SW Battlefront after playing the beta....

which 'day' are you referring to?
  • Sounds like a bargain (after inflation) compared to Nintendo 64 game cartridges. The '64' often did not just reference the bits.
  • edited 11 October 2015 at 12:36PM
    NilremNilrem Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    edited 11 October 2015 at 12:36PM
    Fallout 4 is between £35 and £42 depending on format on Amazon.
    Are you looking at the special editions or something?

In real terms games have tended to come down over the years, with a lot of the limited edition/special edition ones with goodies (statuettes, figures, books etc) now effectively the same price (allowing for inflation) a game cost back in the Snes/Megradrive days.

For example going back about 20 years, I think I paid £25 or £30 for Mechwarrior 2 on the PC.
    I remember repeatedly paying £30-40 per game for the Snes back in about 92, with some of the top end ones (the ones that needed extra memory on the cart or a special additional chip) costing £60+.*

The average big new title PC game now tends to cost around £35 or less, the average new console game around £40ish if you spend a few minutes looking round.

Both now have frequent massive savings after a while as standard, either due to the likes of the Steam sales on PC (which are a little like the old days when most publishers had a budget label they usedafter 12-18 months), or because in the console world they've now got platinum/gold/best of sub labels.

*The most expensive normal console game I ever saw was one of the Street fighter series games on the Snes, my local independent games store (anyone remember those?), used to sell some imports (along with the adaptor carts), and he had a copy of the game a few days after it was released in Japan, IIRC it was £120 and sold in under a week (normal games were about £40).
  • Dunno where you're looking cos those are suspiciously like RRP & special edition pricing as opposed to standard games pricing! Hell even Game aren't THAT expensive for Fallout 4 & Assassins Creed bog standard versions probably clocking in at £50 a piece.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • Its for the Fallout 4 Game plus full season pass so getting all the DLC, and Syndicate again is for the deluxe day 1 edition with all the DLC.
    Total Credit Used...=........£9,000 / £52,700
    Mortgage..............=........£138,000 , 20 Years left.
    :starmod:CC cashback for this year..=........£112.88 £205.81 banked in 2015
    :starmod:YNAB User & Mortgage Free Wannabe
    :starmod::A19/03/16
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    38.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    uncreative wrote: »
    Its for the Fallout 4 Game plus full season pass so getting all the DLC, and Syndicate again is for the deluxe day 1 edition with all the DLC.

Then what are you comparing them to?
    Back in the 'day'
    No such products existed.
  • Kernow666Kernow666 Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    for the oldies here remember when Neo Geo games were £100+ during the 90s
    "If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane"
  • ArchangelESTArchangelEST Forumite
    21 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you keep inflation in mind, the prices aren't that high at all. "Back in the day", you also got paid far, far less.

These days your paycheck is probably so much larger that the increase in game prices shouldn't be even noticeable.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals