Should i be worried about this search

Options
Hello

I was just checking my files and on the Experian statutory report it say i have this search

MEDIA INGENUITY (HD DECISIONS)
20/07/15
CREDIT CARD QUOTATION

There are 2 of these and a Clearscore one also for a credit card quotation.

I havent applied for a credit card for a long time

Should i be worried about it?

Thankyou

Comments

• ilikewatch
    ilikewatch Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    Have you used the MSE eligibility checker? - I'm sure that when I've run an eligibility check on here it's shown up as a quotation search by HD Decisions.
  • DreamCatchMe1
    Options
    Hi

No i haven't, i did switch energy using the collective switch but one of the search is back in July and i switched energy last month.

Stupid Question: How do you know whats a soft search or hard search?
  • Westminster
    Westminster Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    A quotation search should be a soft search.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

No i haven't, i did switch energy using the collective switch but one of the search is back in July and i switched energy last month.

Stupid Question: How do you know whats a soft search or hard search?
    If you are using Clearscore they are clearly marked under hard and soft searches.
  • DreamCatchMe1
    Options
    Can i stop them doing it or do i have to stop using clear score?
  • molerat
    Options
    You have not said whether it was a soft or hard search. Noddle, Equifax and ClearScore show clearly what type of search they but not sure how Experian show them. A soft search is only seen by you so will have no effect on your score / rating / ability to get credit.
  • JKSandy
    JKSandy Posts: 711 Forumite
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    You have not said whether it was a soft or hard search. Noddle, Equifax and ClearScore show clearly what type of search they but not sure how Experian show them. A soft search is only seen by you so will have no effect on your score / rating / ability to get credit.

I can't recall the wording but Experian now separate hard and soft searches also.
    All that glitters is not gold.
  • molerat
    edited 16 October 2015 at 11:02AM
    Options
    HDD-PRICE COMPARISON-BARCLAYCARD has just shown up on an Equifax alert which corresponds to the date I signed up to the Quidco energy club. This is the same as for the CEC, they show up on ClearScore as a credit file request under soft searches.
  • ashp_2
    ashp_2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Noddle-in the "purpose" section it will say something like "checking credit application" for a hard search . So anything other than this is a soft search.

Clearscore- Shows clearly which are hard and soft searches.

Equifax- Also distinguishes between a "credit search" and "other search".

The soft searches are normally for insurance quote, price comparison etc. Company's will sometimes search you when your insurance is due and are entitled to do so if their terms and conditions state so which you probably accepted (without reading!) When signing up for something or searching for quotes.

The soft searches are nothing to worry about and will not have an impact on your rating or your ability to gain credit. Obviously hard searches should be kept to a minimum to maintain a healthy credit file.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure