Belly Fat

Options
I know that you can't spot fat reduce.

I know I need to loose weight being 5ft 4 and 13 stone. A good 3 stone.

But what I don't get when I look at some other woman that are bigger some of them seem to be in proportion and not have a big fat belly. Mine sits under my waist of my jeans.

I don't mind the big boobs or bum. But the belly is what really gets me down.

I have always been over weight since I was 11/12 years and don't have a very good relationship with food.

But I am trying and have lost weight recently. I know loosing more weight will help with the size of my belly.

But anything else I should be doing to help it along.

Yours

Calley
Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin

Comments

• lotte8
    lotte8 Posts: 357 Forumite
    Options
    Their is no magical solution I am afraid. Diet and exercise really is the key.
    Eat right. Forget diets and all that rubbish just eat right. Cut the fizzy drinks out, sweets, crisps etc. Cut the wheat. Are you wheat intolerant? Are you milk intolerant? Are you eating fatty meats? Is the food you are eating full of sugar? Would going veggie/vegan work for you? It does for a lot of people. All questions that you need to ask yourself. Try cutting things out and see how you feel.
    Are you simply over filling your plate? It is an eye opener to actually see what portions you should be eating. I eat a homemade gluten free granola for breakfast and the serving size is 50g. Basically about a third of a bowl.

Exercise. You don't need to hit the gym. Grab some comfy trainers and go for jog around a local park. If you only manage say 1 mile then great, do that a few times and you will progress. Don't fancy running or going out in the cold. Download/stream workouts. Their is a ton of stuff on youtube. Have you thought about Yoga/Pilates? There is a 30 day yoga challenge on youtube. Acquire workout programes. Start with something like T25. 25 mins a day and start of really easy and ramps it up over 3 months. Everybody has 25 mins in a day. Beachbody the home of insanity/T25/p90x plus a load of otherstuff do a streaming service for around £2 a week. There is a new programe called Cize which is dancing, a few friends love it. They don't like exercise but love dancing.

Their really is no magic formula. Good diet and exercise is key, but diet is the main one. It is said that abs are made in the kitchen. That should tell you how important a good diet is.

Good luck.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sadly some people put weight on in different areas because of their body structure / genes.

The only sure way to go about losing weight is by creating a small calorie deficit.

Either eat the same as you are just now, but start exercising a lot more, or do the same activity as you are just now but eat less. -500 calories a day from what you normally eat to loss a healthy amount of weight each week without going OTT.

I usually alternate the above. When i'm not exercising on a particular day i eat less. When i am exercising i eat more.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    Luck of the genetic draw I'm afraid.
    I carry my excess fat on my belly too - I really envy women who carry their weight on their thighs or chests because I think those are much easier body shapes to dress.
    There's not much you can do other than cut down your calories and exercise, but you know all that anyway. I will say that strength training can really reshape your body so you might want to try and incorporate that in to your exercise routing if you've not already. As you've got a good few stones to lose you might find that after losing a stone or two a lot of your belly fat disappears, but it might be the very last thing to go.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Weight distribution is partly dependent on genes and partly dependent on hormones. You'll notice that both men and women get what's labelled the "middle aged spread" as they age; this is because certain hormones are depleted which naturally occurs with age.

There isn't an awful lot you can do to prevent weight sitting on certain areas aside from eating healthily and trying to avoid things like refined sugar and other chemicals which may have an affect on your own hormone levels. Sleeping (or lack of) as well as eating and stress are a few of the things that can affect hormones but bare in mind that if the apple shape you're describing affects the rest of your family it's likely that you will be limited in what you can do to prevent or stop it from happening.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have always had a stomach and never been in proportion. And never been thin.

Sadly I don't have a lot going for me in the looks and body department anyway.

I recently have started to drink a lot more diet fizzy drinks.

I will cut them out for the next few weeks, cut as much sugar from my diet as I can. As well as cut out or limit bread and potatoes and other wasteful calories and carbs.

I won't cut out milk as I do drink coffee mainly decaff. I don't eat a lot of ready made stuff. I will also cut out my beloved gravy and mint sauce and see what happens.

Yours

Calley

• skintpaul
    skintpaul Posts: 1,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Do some sit ups, during the day.

Also, cut down on naught snacks- I have found I less lethargis, since just swapping crisps and chocs, to fruit instead.
    breathe in, breathe out- You're alive! Everything else is a bonus, right? RIGHT??
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I do know how to loose weight.

Did once before in 9 weeks lost about 2 stone. I was cycling 5 miles for 5 days a week.

And eating 3 meals a day. I was never starving and had a little treat once a week.

But I have issues with food. And I do binge eat. And also got the mind set if I mess up one day whats the point.

I don't believe that for one minute situps are any good for loosing belly fat.

Darren very interesting thanks for that.

Yours

Calley

• chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am now completely fed up with running injuries, I tried something about a month ago, a 12 mile hike with my dog. I was surprised how tiring it was (I did put effort into it, it was definitely NOT a stroll). I have now dropped down to about 10 miles and do about 3 a week (on top of swimming and an occasional run and cycle). Hiking is working great for me, and as I am in my late 50's, it is far more sustainable for me than running. Combining this with cutting down on my drinking, I have lost half stone in 4 weeks.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • lotte8
    lotte8 Posts: 357 Forumite
    edited 10 October 2015 at 12:34PM
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    I have always had a stomach and never been in proportion. And never been thin.

Sadly I don't have a lot going for me in the looks and body department anyway.

I recently have started to drink a lot more diet fizzy drinks.

I will cut them out for the next few weeks, cut as much sugar from my diet as I can. As well as cut out or limit bread and potatoes and other wasteful calories and carbs.

I won't cut out milk as I do drink coffee mainly decaff. I don't eat a lot of ready made stuff. I will also cut out my beloved gravy and mint sauce and see what happens.

Yours

Calley

Don't feel like you have to cut everything out straight away. Drop maybe 1 or 2 things and start there. Also carbs are not bad, they are energy that your body needs to operate properly. Yes cut them but don't cut them out. Potato's again are not bad for you. Yes too much is an issue, but then you can say that about anything. Potato's lower your blood pressure and 1 medium baked potato provides 20% of your daily potassium. Just don't go roasting them in a ton of oil. Dried roast new potato's with some salt and pepper are wonderful things.
    skintpaul wrote: »
    Do some sit ups, during the day.

Also, cut down on naught snacks- I have found I less lethargis, since just swapping crisps and chocs, to fruit instead.

Don't bother with sit ups ever. A new study has found you need to do 250k to burn 1lb of fat. Life is far too short for that. Good diet and a good exercise regime is all you need.
    calleyw wrote: »
    I do know how to loose weight.

Did once before in 9 weeks lost about 2 stone. I was cycling 5 miles for 5 days a week.

And eating 3 meals a day. I was never starving and had a little treat once a week.

But I have issues with food. And I do binge eat. And also got the mind set if I mess up one day whats the point.

I don't believe that for one minute situps are any good for loosing belly fat.

Darren very interesting thanks for that.

Yours

Calley

The best way to stop binge eating crap is simple,don't have it in the house. best way for it not to be in the house. Online shop, it takes away the temptation of all those lovely sparkling wrappers.
    Also look at the reason why you binge eat. Only you can answer that one. Once you realise what it is you can then set about dealing with that issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure