Disputing a very small old debt

Options
Hello guys, I am looking to improve my credit file as best as I can, I have default, from Arrow Global on my file for £14 from August 20011, I think it was from an old mobile broadband account I had got for my mother (she couldn't take one out due to her credit at the time) and she may not have paid the final bill off.

I was wondering as this debt is 4 years old now, it's only £14 (it would cost them more in court charges to attempt to collect) and taking into account I have not received any collection attempts. Would there be any point in attempting to dispute the debt? and would there be any repercussions if it's unsuccessful?

I have heard that it can work, but I have seen no real world examples of this happening.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some lenders might even disregard the default as its old.
  • ashp_2
    ashp_2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From what you have said the debt sounds genuine which means you may struggle to dispute the debt but it's always worth a try. Contacting them now will have no effect on the default on your file. The default will remain on your file for 6 years from the default date whether you pay it or not.

As the debt is old, as posted above lenders may not take it into account anyway.
  • delsus
    delsus Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Some lenders might even disregard the default as its old.
    ashp wrote: »
    From what you have said the debt sounds genuine which means you may struggle to dispute the debt but it's always worth a try. Contacting them now will have no effect on the default on your file. The default will remain on your file for 6 years from the default date whether you pay it or not.

As the debt is old, as posted above lenders may not take it into account anyway.

So although Noddle is saying my rating is poor (based on their scale), it might not be quite as bad as they say based on the age of the default? I look at everything else and it seems ok (bar the credit card I had at university, which I know about and that was settled years ago although was in default again from 2011.

They are the only two defaults both from 2011 so both 4 years old. I'm just trying to gauge how likely I would be accepted for credit right now.
  • Christina_H.
    Options
    Hi, from what I've heard Noodle is not the best or most accurate. Try Clearscore, its free.
  • ashp_2
    ashp_2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes well don't look into your "score" to much. If you have 2 defaults on your report your highly likely to have a low score but this does not necessarily mean you will be unable to get credit.

Do you have recent good credit history? Electoral role?
  • delsus
    delsus Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ashp wrote: »
    Yes well don't look into your "score" to much. If you have 2 defaults on your report your highly likely to have a low score but this does not necessarily mean you will be unable to get credit.

Do you have recent good credit history? Electoral role?

My recent credit is all good, paying more than my minimum on my credit card (although still using it so pretty much riding the limit, but I have had a lot of hours the last month so hopefully I'll be able to pay it down a little soon.) and I'm on the electoral role.

When I need credit I'll just see how things go in that case. Thanks for all your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure