Not paying late payment charges?

Options
Hello
I stupidly opened an account with Very.co.uk...to spread payments over a few months.
Tried to log on (with right password) but wouldn't allow me to, then the reset password link never sent the required reset email to me. I couldn't make payment. I'm often abroad so need to pay online. Thus I was a few days late making payment- this has happened 3 times and I have received £36 in late payment fines.
I have all the evidence of my email trails with them to try and get this fixed and phone logs...even the advisor said I could get them refunded.

Now I've paid my actual balance off in full but left my late payment charges. I've asked for these to be waived- flat refusal.
I now flatly refuse to pay them and have told them Eve paid off my balance and explained all my attempts to pay (on time) and as they wont waive them, have no intention of paying the late payments charges.
Question is what could/would happen? Anyone with experience please let me know...thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The late payments will be marked on your credit file. Ultimately they will turn into a default and you'll be chased for payment, via themselves or a DCA if they sell the debt on.

Probably unlikely to turn into a CCJ for a small amount, but it's always a possibility.

Either way, it will impact your ability to get mainstream credit for up to 6 years.
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    Could you not make a payment over the phone? They have phones abroad, as well as Skype and the like ...
  • smdabs
    smdabs Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    If i were in your shoes, i would pay the outstanding balance asap to prevent this from accumulating interest/any further fees as soon as possible.

Then please visit the Financial Ombudsman Website and fill in their complaint questionnaire so your concerns are logged as a FORMAL complaint. Provide the FOS with copies (if originals are required they will request this from you) of all of the email trail showing you have done your upmost to make sure payments were made and that this is not an error on your behalf.

Explain that you have raised this with Very on numerous occasions and tell them of the outcome (they have refused to acknowledge your complaint) so they therefore know you have already tried to sort this with financial provider to no avail.

The FOS waiting times can be some time however it is your best bet.

From reading your post, this is NOT your error and Very should not be putting the onus on you to rectify this matter.

Make it clear the FOS that you would like both the charges and interest back, but also compensation for the inconvenience and distress this has caused you (i can only imagine how frustrating this is whilst trying to sort this matter out abroad) and also clearly state that you want your credit file amended as the defaults were not your error (Very can send a form off to equifax/experian etc to get this done - as much as they all try to deny this)

FOS will look at this impartially and assess all the evidence provided by both parties and come to a fair and non-biased outcome. (I say non-biased, but often they are actually in the customer favour)

Hope this helps.

If you need any help, let me know! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family