RBS mortgage help

Options
pd52
pd52 Posts: 514 Forumite
edited 6 October 2015 at 12:32AM in Credit file & ratings
I had a joint mortgage in 2007 with a family member, the property was repossessed in March 2009. I want bankrupt in June 2009 and included the mortgage in my bankruptcy so I was no longer liable for it. There was an outstanding balance which the other family member still pays monthly for in an DMP.

My credit file stateed I owed the outstanding balance too with no default date - just says 'up to date '.

I complained to RBS and they have removed the balance so it just shows £0.00 and no defaults /late payments. Just shows mortgage started in 2006. the account is still showing open on my credit file.

This is what its currently showing https://www.dropbox.com/s/w721u1ra0qg6trc/2015-10-06%2000.28.00.jpg?dl=0

RBS said it would not update again as its exempt from updating ,so will just stay as £0.00 with no negative factors until the other party clears the balance ( which could be 25 years at the amount it's being repaid) But they will not remove it from my credit file until then.

Is this correct? And also will this affect me getting credit or a mortgage in the future?

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The mortgage should not be on the credit file at all at this stage....it should either show have a default or settled date but neither of these things should be dated later than the bankruptcy (June 2009). If you have complained to the bank and their response is unsatisfactory then take the matter to the Information Commissioner to be looked into further.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • pd52
    pd52 Posts: 514 Forumite
    Options
    Looks like I'll have to write to the ombudsman, I explained all this to them but they couldn't understand.

Am I likely to have issues getting credit until this is resolved?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your complaint about the inaccurate data on your file should be escalated to the Information Commissioner and if you wish to complain about poor service you have received that should go to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

It shouldn't affect your credit file because the balance is zero, with no defaults or late payments but the key issue is that it shouldn't show at all.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure