Will checking the file ignite the creditors

Options
Hi

Unfortunately my husband accrued some debt approximately 10 years ago. We are almost positive that the last contact about the debt or acknowledgement of it was just over 6 years ago. He's quite good and burying his head in the sand but I want to find out if he has any CCJ's. Would him conducting a file check with Experien or Equifax reignite the debt chasers or is it better for him to just leave it. None of this was mortgage related it was credit card debt.

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are you saying in the last 6 years he's not changed the address on his current account, not registered to vote, not gone on the gas/electric/water account, never had a mobile phone? It's highly likely the databases out there know where he lives and would have found him by now. No joint mortgage?

Check your credit file for free with Noddle and Clearscore. He'll need to have a credit card, loan or overdraft in his own name at this address so he can be matched to his credit report successfully.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • ITBarbie60
    Options
    Hi

No he's not changed his address, he does have a mobile phone and is also registered on the electoral role at our address. The mortgage is in my name only and he has no loans or utilities in his own name.

I will get him to try clear score many thanks
  • ITBarbie60
    Options
    Oh apparently clearscore do not have enough information to complete the online application as they say this maybe because he has not used credit much before or don't have a credit history. Looks like he'll have to apply the conventional way
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

If someone has changed address then checking their credit file can sometimes alert debt collectors to the new address, if they were already trying to locate the debtor.

If your husband hasn’t changed address I don’t see that it would make a lot of difference as they already know where to find him if they want to.

In any case, he could check www.trustonline.org.uk for records of any CCJs as an alternative to his credit files, although it costs £4.

James
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure