🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Can named driver start new car insurance and 'borrow' some NCD

Options
We're about to become a two car family for the first time. Having been a driver for longer the current car's insurance is in my name with my husband as a named driver. He's been on my insurance for 7 years and we've never had any claims. The new car and insurance will be in his name with me as a named driver so in effect he has no NCD however I've been told that some insurers will give you some discount if you can provide proof of being on past policies with no claims. Is this correct and if so does anyone know who does this? I can't seem to enter any info like this onto any of the websites that trawl through all the insurers. Any help appreciated!!

Comments

• Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but - in your circumstances, with one car and two drivers - no.

The only way that I've found of being able to do anything like this is if you have two cars and two drivers on the policy. The policy holder can then transfer one of the NCD's for one of the cars to the named driver, who can then take out a new policy in their own right.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you insure both cars with the same co they will sometimes match the NCB from your policy onto his for the first year only. I know ASDA do this as when we first got 2 cars they matched hubbys full NCB onto the new car for the first year only so at renewal we had 1 yr NCB. Its not much but its a help.
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The above can be done, but it is really just an introductory offer, not a real transferred NCD. It's better than nothing, though.

The NCD is evidently associated with the car, not the person.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • dundeedoll_2
    dundeedoll_2 Posts: 1,199 Forumite
    Options
    I was in same position. I posted a thread on this back in March - see copy of it below.

Got the usual problem of having always been on traders policy & then husbands policy as named driver, so had no NCD.
    Now buying a car & want my own policy. Tried confused.com & got Quinn at apprx £280, but wasn't that keen on insuring with them after reading threads on here.
    Then went to autonet insurance online. Had to put in date of obtaining full liscence & wasn't sure of day (knew month & year) as financial advisor has got DL for identification ref. remortgage. The screen wouldn't move on without the day info, so gave up. 5 mins later they phoned me. Went through the process & came up with £288 with Royal Sun Alliance. Got cut off, so went to RSA website & did quote online - £684!
    Autonet phoned me back & went through all again, will recognise named driver record & back to £288 fully comp for Rover 25 1.4il

Although lots of companes offer extra discount through going on-line, sometimes it's best to talk to them direct if you fit outside the box so to speak!
    Nicotine Free since 01.08.2010 :j:j:j

Sealed Pot Challenge member 1097 2011 £1024.78 :T

I feel the two are connected :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business