Blogging

Options

Comments

• Spjo2k
    Options
    I started a blog back in 2009 and forgot about it. Last January £100 appeared in my bank and after looking found it was paid by Google Ireland. I have since picked it up again and get over 8million views per month. I am so proud of it. I have since been able to become self employed with my blog. I used Blogger and Google Adsense.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Ilona and Skint Dad - love your blogs! I have a blog which I enjoy doing but haven't attempted to make money from it. I am very interested in what others say. I suspect you need quite a lot of time to spend on it.

Hi Jane. I've had a look at your blog, I like it. It's bright and breezy, and chatty, and has a good mix of topics. Keep on with it. Put a link to it in your profile on here.

Yes, you do need to spend time on it to build it up, but you have a good handle on your subject, and if you enjoy what you are doing, then it won't be a chore to continue. When bloggers run out of steam they lose interest and give up.

I think you could start to monetize it, but I can't help you with that. You are young with a family, and need to maximize your income. Although our blogs follow similar themes, the difference is I am at an age when I have stopped buying, because I have enough. Good luck.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hi Ilona, How can I find your blog? I am interested in reading it. Thanks
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• droopsnoot
    droopsnoot Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a look in the users profile for more details - click their username above and follow your nose.
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    droopsnoot wrote: »
    Have a look in the users profile for more details - click their username above and follow your nose.

I already did that and I can't see a blog link?

EDIT: I see they have changed where the link is in the forum revamp- found it, thanks.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    It's there, I checked earlier. It says 'visit homepage'. I get 80,000 page views a month. I have hit the 100,000 but it fluctuates depending on the time of year.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Amilia_Bargues
    Options
    Yes, blogging is a good idea to share your thoughts and inspirations with others. But can you imagine how much time you need to refresh it daily or almost daily. If you have family and primary employment, it will be really difficult to spend some time on it.
    But if you're an inborn writer, you need to share your talent with the world. Good luck to you!
  • NaturalNatt
    NaturalNatt Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 11 October 2015 at 9:15AM
    Options
    Yes, i've had great success with my blog, have already cut down hours at my job woop! Blogging is a great way to earn extra money.
    I wouldn't have been able to do it though without the help of my boyfriend as he's a website designer so he knows everything about the back end work.
    There's a lot of helpful websites out there which will explain how to build a site and how to advertise etc.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Some blogs will gain an audience, but you really need to be "living" whatever it is you're writing about. You need to be able to "own" it in some way.

e.g. taking your arts/culture subject (not really sure what that is as I'm a peasant), I'd have to sit on the PC and could just post "They got a new painting at the gallery" ....but for people who lived near galleries and who knew about art they'd be right in there "Been to see the new painting at the gallery .... see, here's my photo of it ..... not sure if I prefer this one or the one I saw last year (link to last year's opinion/photo) .....". And then there's the tweeting and Facebooking.... you can't do those if you've never been to a gallery, won't be going, know nothing .... but if you're there in the queue, in the gallery, taking a photo ... you get an audience.

You do need to ensure you've enough of an "angle" to interest your audience.

Blogging is a different world to, say, 5 years ago. 5 years ago I could've made a good living from saying "There's a new picture...." now I couldn't.
  • Annie021063
    Annie021063 Posts: 2,569 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone
    One of my new year resolutions was to start a blog and I did a couple of weeks ago. I've had lots of positive comments so far and I aim to write 2/3 times a week about a variety of topics that I 'live in'. I'm still finding my way round all the ins and outs of my pages ( I bought a domain name and I'm with Wordpress) I would like to make some money in the future even to just cover my expenses but I don't really know how to get my page 'out there'. I would love some tips/advice from you experienced bloggers.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport