How soon does insurance cover start?

Options
Hi, my daughter has been to look at a car that she would like to buy and has asked someone who knows more about cars to look over it tomorrow.

The car is MOT'd and taxed until January next year.

My question is this: If she buys the car tomorrow and insures it on line, can she drive it tomorrow, as she will effectively be insured and the car is already taxed.

Thank you

Carol

Comments

• iceicebaby
    iceicebaby Posts: 3,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can get instant cover on line or over the phone subject to paying a deposit by card to secure the policy or paying for the policy in full
    Baby Ice arrived 17th April 2011. Tired.com! :j
  • cazziej
    cazziej Posts: 321 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you Ice - quick reply!!

Husband just spoke to his friend who says to be wary as the car is a Punto and often have problems, don't know if this is true. Also, the man selling it says he is waiting for the log book to be sent to him, and OH friend said not touch it.

Anyway, thanks for the rapid reply.

Best wishes

Carol
  • darich
    darich Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the seller doesn't have the log book and "is waiting for it to be sent to him" then i'd walk away.
    It could be a stolen car, a cut and shut and/or a forged document.
    If he has the car to sell why doesn't he have the log book?
    who has it just now?

As for Fiats having problems I'm sure that if swore by them then another would swear at them.
    Personally I wouldn't own a Fiat but I've never owned one before and only go by what I've read.

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
  • arlybarly
    arlybarly Posts: 985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi cazzi
    dont touch a car without the log book present
  • Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Just to confirm what the others say, officially:
    • never buy a vehicle without a registration document or certificate (referred to as 'registration certificate') even if the seller says it has been sent to the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) for changes
    From DIRECT.GOV website. Lots of other info about buying and selling there as well.
  • impy78
    impy78 Posts: 3,157 Forumite
    Options
    cazziej wrote: »
    Hi, my daughter has been to look at a car that she would like to buy and has asked someone who knows more about cars to look over it tomorrow.

The car is MOT'd and taxed until January next year.

My question is this: If she buys the car tomorrow and insures it on line, can she drive it tomorrow, as she will effectively be insured and the car is already taxed.

Thank you

Carol

If the car has a tax disc in it then yes, as long as she buys the insurance and gets a policy number before she gets into the car.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure