Bought set from lingerie store

Options
I bought a set for my partner from a lingerie store, she got fitted to ensure she got the correct bra size... and it snapped. She took it back after 29 days (28 days is on the receipt) and they wouldn't refund it.

I'm right in assuming this violates the Sale of Goods act right? How does this affect sets though as the bra and pants were separate but of course go as a set.

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MrRightSA wrote: »
    I bought a set for my partner from a lingerie store, she got fitted to ensure she got the correct bra size... and it snapped. She took it back after 29 days (28 days is on the receipt) and they wouldn't refund it.

I'm right in assuming this violates the Sale of Goods act right? How does this affect sets though as the bra and pants were separate but of course go as a set.
    What reason did they give for not providing a remedy?
    Remember, a replacement is also a suitable remedy.

There may also be a slight issue about who actually made the purchase and therefore who has the right to a remedy - if the goods are inherently faulty of course.
  • MrRightSA
    Options
    That it is outwith the 28 day guarantee they offer. She had spoken to CS on the phone who had said it would be refunded but taking it in store they rejected it. She didn't know any better though and just accepted this since the rep did point out she was outwith the 28 day guarantee.

Well she technically purchased them (it was a second card in her name but it's overall my account) so whatever that works out as.
  • wealdroam
    Options
    That it is outwith the 28 day guarantee they offer. She had spoken to CS on the phone who had said it would be refunded but taking it in store they rejected it. She didn't know any better though and just accepted this since the rep did point out she was outwith the 28 day guarantee.

Well she technically purchased them (it was a second card in her name but it's overall my account) so whatever that works out as.
    I wouldn't mind betting that that 28 day limit is for 'change of mind' type of returns - but as you haven't told us the seller I obviously can't be sure.

The buyer has up to six years to seek a remedy from the seller.
    During the first six months after sale the goods can be assumed to be inherently faulty and it is for the seller to prove otherwise.

The buyer needs to be a bit more forceful in asserting her rights.
  • MrRightSA
    Options
    She just didn't know about them like I do.

How would it work with a set though? As she obviously doesn't want the knickers if the bra isn't matching.
  • wealdroam
    Options

How would it work with a set though? As she obviously doesn't want the knickers if the bra isn't matching.
    If one item was purchased, i.e. a bra and panties set, then that is what needs to be returned.

The converse is true. If two separate items were purchased, maybe from the same range, then the seller is not obliged to refund the otherwise good item, although some retailers will of course.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

So each and every day she wears different bra and knickers that match????

And so has at least 7 bra's and 7 pairs of matching sets to wash every week???

Sorry but my bra stays the same for about 3 days, I don't really care what colour me knickers are or if they match.....
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • MrRightSA
    Options
    It's a bit different McKneff, these are sexy knickers and bra. Her day to day ones are random but for planned fun she wanted matching items. Like I thought though, they were paid for separate so probably can't return the bottoms
  • NotRichAtAll
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    So each and every day she wears different bra and knickers that match????

And so has at least 7 bra's and 7 pairs of matching sets to wash every week???

Sorry but my bra stays the same for about 3 days, I don't really care what colour me knickers are or if they match.....

what you wear and how long you wear it for is down to you, not everyone else likes to do that. Nothing wrong with a woman wearing nice stuff everyday
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    what you wear and how long you wear it for is down to you, not everyone else likes to do that. Nothing wrong with a woman wearing nice stuff everyday

Totally agree. Personally I wouldn't even dream of leaving the house unless my boxers and socks matched. It's her choice what she wears.
  • wealdroam
    Options
    arcon5 wrote: »
    Totally agree. Personally I wouldn't even dream of leaving the house unless my boxers and socks matched.
    I'm not even sure I always get my socks matching each other. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport