iMessage from iPhone to iPhone

edited 30 September 2015 at 5:26PM in Techie Stuff
5 replies 889 views
Ant555Ant555 Forumite
1.5K Posts
Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
edited 30 September 2015 at 5:26PM in Techie Stuff
If I send a message to a contact that has an iPhone then my own iPhone seems to know about this fact and then sends using iMessage where the 'speech bubble' is blue.

As I understand it, that means its sent using my data plan or wifi through Apples servers.

If the recipient has the iPhone switched on on but data switched off then will the message get through? If an iMessage cannot be delivered then will it then try sms text messaging.

Thanks

Replies

• wongataawongataa Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think the message waits until the data connection of the recipient is active again and then it gets delivered.
  • benje302benje302 Forumite
    207 Posts
    Hi

I dont know with IOS 9 but if the iMessage fails its shows a red ! mark and states failed. You can then click on it and either pick the option to retry or send via text.
    Regards

Ben
  • edited 1 October 2015 at 11:19AM
    Ant555Ant555 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 1 October 2015 at 11:19AM
    Thanks for the help - I have just spotted the setting 'Send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable' I will switch this on and see how I go.
    I'm not sure if this means when iMessage in general is unavailable or when the recipient cannot be seen on iMessage.

This is hopefully the solution to my scenario - my kids are very observant of their data allowance each month and so towards the end of the month they flip mobile data on and off as required if its getting close to their 1Gb limit. All very well but I have sent a few messages in the past that have not come through till they are back in the house (on wifi) so it all makes sense as to why this is happening now. If the phone flips to SMS then at least the message might have a chance of getting through in this situation.
  • Ant555Ant555 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Forumite
    Just incase anyone searches on this thread in the future...

I have just run some tests and with the 'Send as SMS when iMessage is unavailable' option set, the iPhone does indeed automatically send a message using SMS if the data is switched off on the recipient iPhone or it is not on wifi.
  • theonlywayisuptheonlywayisup Forumite
    15.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Blue - sent via iMessage.
    Green - sent via SMS.
    Red - not sent.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Check your Clubcard vouchers

Use our trick to extend them

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals