We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour.

Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Undervalued property

Can anyone advise we put an offer on a property at 700k and the mortgage got accepted and then the valuation survey came back at 625k so things are a bit up in the air. It's not a small amount it's a big difference we love the house but don't want to over pay by such a huge amount. The seller refuses to reduce price. What I want to know is of we decide not to proceed with the purchase and someone else buys it and they require a mortgage is the valuation likely to be similar or could the next surveyor just turn up and say it is worth 700k and the lender is happy. My lender is natwest at the moment. Such a huge under valuaton I don't know what to do

Comments

  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    It depends on who the next lender is and which surveyor they use.
    With a limited number of both then it is likely that the same valuation may result.
    Also, if the first surveyor has done their job correctly then one would expect a different one to also come to the same conclusion.

    Or the next buyer may not need/want a survey....
  • anandp
    anandp Posts: 279
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Jatin wrote: »
    Can anyone advise we put an offer on a property at 700k and the mortgage got accepted and then the valuation survey came back at 625k so things are a bit up in the air. It's not a small amount it's a big difference we love the house but don't want to over pay by such a huge amount. The seller refuses to reduce price. What I want to know is of we decide not to proceed with the purchase and someone else buys it and they require a mortgage is the valuation likely to be similar or could the next surveyor just turn up and say it is worth 700k and the lender is happy. My lender is natwest at the moment. Such a huge under valuaton I don't know what to do

    Its a toughie. If the house is in a very popular area, then someone may still pay above valuation. I would ensure firstly that any mortgage which is dependent on the valuation is still viable. If it is, i.e. you've got funds to make up any shortfall in what you can borrow, then I'd start making the estate agent very nervous.

    Ultimately, its your choice - how long you've been looking for, the urgency to move, etc.
    Interested in property investment, web tech, social media, forex, equities. Also a proud father & entrepreneur of sorts.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    What's the reason behind the lower valuation?
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,879
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Jatin wrote: »
    Can anyone advise we put an offer on a property at 700k and the mortgage got accepted and then the valuation survey came back at 625k so things are a bit up in the air. It's not a small amount it's a big difference we love the house but don't want to over pay by such a huge amount. The seller refuses to reduce price. What I want to know is of we decide not to proceed with the purchase and someone else buys it and they require a mortgage is the valuation likely to be similar or could the next surveyor just turn up and say it is worth 700k and the lender is happy. My lender is natwest at the moment. Such a huge under valuaton I don't know what to do

    Yes another surveyor could value it at your offer price, a cash buyer could come along and pay the price you have offered as well.

    It's a gamble, withdraw and they may find another buyer or they may lower the asking price. How long has the property been on the market?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.