Have HSBC ERC recently changed?

Hi all,

Just been on my online banking and noticed that HSBC seem to have changed their ERC terms. Anyone know anything about this?

We are currently in the middle of a 2 year fix but as per the previous rules, started paying the maximum of 10% of the monthly payment allowed.

I logged on today to see that we now have a yearly allowance that we are allowed to overpay of £11792. Does this mean that the previous rules of 10% of monthly payment no longer apply?

Thanks for any replies in advance!
Mortgage - £105,500

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    10% of monthly payment?

Are you sure? 10% of outstanding balance each year would be more usual.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Yes, that was the rule previously. However, I've just looked in my messages in online banking and it's true, the rules have changed and it's now 10% allowance per year which is fantastic news. :j:T
    Mortgage - £105,500
  • Hi PrincessLou

Same here, I also logged onto my HSBC online banking yesterday and noticed something hinting at an altered maximum over-payment scheme.. I'm currently paying the 20% extra on top of my minimum/standard monthly payments.

I've just been off the 'phone' (Skype) and they've told me that yes, they've altered their over-payments. You can now over pay by 10% of your outstanding balance, per year. I'm currently 1 year into a fixed-rate deal. So if you had a remaining balance of £115,000 for example, you could over pay by £11,500 per year (£958.33 per month extra).

You will probably find the cut-off date for your annual over-payment corresponds with when you started your mortgage (bit like car insurance I suppose).. I forgot whether she said if that was a particular date (e.g. 18th), or the end of the month.

The advisor told me that many people have phoned up in the last few days with similar questions, but apparently letters are currently being sent out, so hopefully we'll expect a letter with frequently asked questions included!

I hope this has been helpful!

Chris.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,760 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    So if you had a remaining balance of £115,000 for example, you could over pay by £11,500 per year (£958.33 per month extra)
    Just as an aside, it would be £11,500 only in the current year.

In future years, the outstanding balance will be lower, so it will be 10% of a lower amount.

Just clarifying that for future readers.

Nationwide allows overpayment of 10% of the original mortgage amount, so that would remain the same amount each year for the term of the mortgage.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • Yes, with HSBC it's 10% of your 'remaining' mortgage balance per year. Much better than their previous 20% on top of your monthly payment.

Happy days =)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport