Talktalk forcing me to keep both lines with them even though I am not in contract

Hello,

We have two phone lines in the house, both with Talktalk (one belongs to my parents). Phone line 1 is not in contract and I am trying to transfer the services of this line to Sky for a much cheaper deal. Phone line 2 is still in contract with Talktalk for another year so I plan to keep it. am taking a new deal with Sky on phone line 1 for my parents, which means Sky will take over my services for that line.

The problem I am having is that Talktalk keep sending me a letter telling me that Sky are trying to take over phone line 2. Clearly this is not what I requested and I've talked it over with Sky extensively and they confirm that they are taking over phone line 1 and don't even have the number for the other phone line in this house.

When I tell this to Talktalk, they say that Sky is the problem, that Sky keep trying to take over the wrong line. Each time this happens I have to cancel the order because if Sky take over the wrong line it will not only really screw things up but I will be forced to pay Talktalk around £200+ for almost a year and a half worth of unused contract.

This has been going on for half a year, so far I have made the order and cancelled it 5 times. I am being held hostage by Talktalk on both lines, I cannot leave them on the phone line that is out of contract because they always say the company who is trying to take over phone line 1 is trying to take over the line that is still in contract (line 2), which is IMPOSSIBLE because they have only been given the phone number of line 1.

I've complained like mad and there is no resolution. Talktalk continuously blames Sky for trying to take over the phone line, whilst Sky continuously claim they are trying to take over the correct line, and I have it in writing and on my Sky online account that confirms Sky are indeed trying to take the correct line, the one that I requsted them to.

I just don't know what to do.

Comments

• Make a formal written complaint (there should be a process outlined somewhere), give them a deadline to respond to your complaint or provide a deadlock letter, or in any case if they don't respond in eight weeks, then go to alternative dispute resolution. You do not have to tell them you will do this when you make the complaint, although it may focus their mind as the costs for ADR are paid by the provider, not the customer. Always, however the complaint is resolved, even if the complainant is found to be vexatious and with no merit.

All providers are obliged to offer ADR and must be a member of one of the schemes.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi AvoidTalkTalk,

This sounds a little more complex than it first appears.

When you are giving information to Sky to take over the phone line, i presume it is the phone number you are giving them. Provided they submit the order to Open Reach with that phone number there's no way the order could inadvertently be received on the other line.

Are Sky definitely trying to take over the existing service (using an MPF-MPF transfer order via Open Reach) or are they possibly placing a new line order (new line provide)? This might explain why the orders are being received on the other line?

We will need to look into this in more depth to be certain of whats happening. If you tweet us @TalkTalkCare or visit the TalkTalk Community we can check some information with you and look into the orders properly.

Cheers

Mark
    Social Customer Care Team
    TalkTalk
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure