Plumbing in washing machine

Options
Hi everyone :)
We are currently re-jigging our house to make life a bit easier as we have a baby on the way.
Part of this involves moving the washing machine to a newly designated utility room.
We have just had a new boiler put in in the last 6 months which has a plastic condensate overflow pipe, this goes through the wall and links into the waste for the bath (we have a downstairs bathroom).
My question is, is it possible and a good idea to plumb the washing machine waste into the condensate overflow pipe using a Y connector? I would then put a non return valve on the boiler side so as to stop the washing machine filling the boiler with waste if for some reason the pipe blocks.
I'm no plumber but can do basic things like this. It just seems a lot easier than drilling more holes etc when there is already a pipe there.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No. You shouldn't do this.

You need to do the job properly and run a 40mm waste through the wall.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Mcreedy18
    Options
    Thanks Phil.
    Not meaning to sound too idiotic, but why is it that you shouldn't do this?
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd say the condensate waste will be 22mm and the washer waste needs to be 40mm, to allow a proper flow for one thing
  • Mcreedy18
    Options
    Originally I had also thought this. And you're right, the condensate pipe is 22mm, however the waste pipe from the back of the washer is about the same size so I don't see why it then needs to go to 40mm? If this makes sense.
    Not sure if I'm just being really stupid or not.
    In the manual for the boiler it says at maximum it will produce 1L of condensate per hour, so it's not exactly going to be a huge flow
  • EssexExile
    Options
    The instructions for the washing machine will say the waste should go into a 32mm or 40mm pipe. If it goes any distance in a smaller pipe it will slow down the flow, if there are any bends it will slow down more. The slower the flow, the more debris is left in the pipe (soap, fluff,etc) making the flow even slower, meaning even more debris. It will block.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

on another forum, a suggestion is to replace the condesate pipe with a 40mm one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure