Is this is a scam?

Options
Just tried to pay for lunch with work colleagues - 6 of us paying £15 each via card. I was first to pay and tried with Amex and the waiter says 'sorry sir it's coming up as Void - maybe because it is American Express' and hands me a recent which says 'void' (not 'declined').

I then try to pay with a Visa debit card. Exactly the same thing happens - I get a Void receipt. The waiter says he'll try everyone else to check if it's the machine. He then proceeds to take card payments from 2 of my work colleagues which works fine, and says to me that 'maybe it's best I take cash from you'.

I insist on trying again with the VISA debit card and notice that the waiter is very keen to take the terminal back off me and then appears to fiddle around with it. Result the same - I get a receipt with Void on it. Eventually I have to pay cash.

I'm convinced the waiter was voiding my transactions for some reason - but why - is it some sort of scam? I have now changed the PIN on both cards as a precaution. When I checked my amex online I can see the payment is showing as 'pending' so will keep an eye on this too. I can't see anything showing on my bank account connected to the Visa debit card

Comments

• katipip
    Options
    Did you get a computer printer bill for £90?

If not the restaurant may have put your meals through at £75, charged 5 of you £15 on your cards (this would keep the till balanced and the restaurant owner unaware of any foul play) and then pocketed your £15.

Just a thought.
  • beefturnmail
    Options
    Thanks - no just a handwritten bill. That sounds like it could be what's happened.
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    5 for the business
    1 for his back pocket
    Bet he does not see the tips.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • grayme-m
    grayme-m Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did the funds come through?
    Toyota - 'Always a better way', avoid buying Toyota.
  • geerex
    geerex Posts: 785 Forumite
    Options
    1. They don't take amex
    2. Your visa is an electron/cashcard/RBS 1600 series/pretend current account with limited "trust". The restaurants system goes down, your card won't work but your friends do as their banks trust them and don't require authorisation for EVERY transaction.

No need to thank me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport