PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Full structural survey required for accurate valuation

Options
Hi guys,

I'm a first time buyer, so excuse my naivety... Due to the age of the house I paid for a homebuyer report which came back without a value due to structural movement and rising damp.

What's the next steps? Do I need to pay for a structural report or negotiate with the vendor? Should I simply look for a new house? What happens with the mortgage? I assume the mortgage provider needs an accurate valuation before they lend anything, will simply getting a structural report provide this information?

Thanks

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1) ask your lender what they need.

2) ask yourself what the property will cost you to put right, whether you can afford it, whether it's worth spending, how much you 'love' the house
  • alumende27
    Options
    keeer wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm a first time buyer, so excuse my naivety... Due to the age of the house I paid for a homebuyer report which came back without a value due to structural movement and rising damp.

What's the next steps? Do I need to pay for a structural report or negotiate with the vendor? Should I simply look for a new house? What happens with the mortgage? I assume the mortgage provider needs an accurate valuation before they lend anything, will simply getting a structural report provide this information?

As GM says, ask the lender what they require. When the property we're buying came back with 'structural' issues, they made it quite clear in the rejection letter what was required. We needed to get a structural engineers report from a chartered structural engineer. A building survey from a RICS member was not sufficient.

Be aware that depending on the issues this can get expensive, even before any remedial work is undertaken.

We ended up doing:

1) Valuation
    2) Building survey
    3) Structural engineers survey
    4) Drains survey (inc. cctv footage)

and then had to pay the structural engineer to come up with a plan to fix the structural issues and do a number of site visits to verify the work undertaken to fix the structural issues was done in accordance with his plans, and all this before the lender would accept the property as suitable security.

Unless this is the house of your dreams, the best option may be to walk away and find something else.
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    'Structural movement' in itself isn't necessarily a disaster, many old buildings move a bit over time, but subsidence is much more of a worry if that's the cause. Rising damp, again, can be a false alarm - sometimes it turns out to be superficial and just caused by a leaky down pipe, and increasingly some professionals don't even believe rising damp exists ( see http://risingdampmyth.com/ ) I don't know where I stand on this, as it's not my field, but I know the belief is gaining in popularity.

A full structural survey may have been a better idea to clarify things, but I think would be expensive on top of a homebuyers. Maybe better value now to get a structural engineer and an independent damp surveyor (not a supplier of services, they will always claim you need a new damp course!) to assess the situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure