IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN from CEL - no "notice to keeper"

The keeper of the vehicle received a "Parking Charge Notice" from Civil Enforcement Ltd for being in a 90 minutes max car park for too long. The keeper was (genuinely) held for too long at an appointment because of a problem during the appointment.

Now I think there is a problem with the dates on the notice, but I don't know if the POFA applies because nowhere on the letter does it say "notice to keeper". The keepers name and address is in the address window and that's it.

The letter shows the "PCN Issue Date" being 19 days after the "Incident Date". It was received 3 days after the issue date.

Any advice on if this notice is valid? And if so, would you mention the appointment on the letter, or just keep it to the standard points?

Comments

• nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    This cannot be a Notice To Keeper as it is out of time therefore it is merely a speculative invoice. All that is required is a simple response that there is no keeper liability for any unpaid parking charge & that CEL must take the matter up with the driver who you are not obliged to name. Do not under any circumstances start wittering on about a delayed appointment or anything else that happened on the day that may support the assumption that the Registered Keeper was also the driver.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If the issue date is 19 days after the event then it fails to comply with the POFA requirements: so only the driver is potentially liable.

Don't mention the appointment as mitigation doesn't count and I'm assuming that the keeper was a passenger in the car, not the driver (hint!)
  • rooo
    rooo Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So would you mention the other things that are in the template letter ([FONT=&quot]disproportionate, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]extravagant, n[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]o evidence, [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]signs were not seen/are ambiguous) or just the POFA line[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]? And what about the drop hands offer - is that relevant in this case?

Thanks for your help!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,606 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yes just use the template. Don't over-think it. The whole lot is relevant and I wrote the 'drop-hands' offer in deliberately. Appeal by EMAIL.

At POPLA stage you can go to town about 'no keeper liability' and come back here for advice.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • rooo
    rooo Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Many thanks for your help, the keeper has emailed that off now.

It genuinely wasn't me, so I'll keep checking with them to see what replies they get!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure