Epilepsy

Options
I was hoping for some advice on my situation.

I have just been diagnosed as having epilepsy and will naturally need to give up driving and return my licence. The seizures started suddenly and are becoming more frequent and I stopped driving immediately following the first seizure but it has recently been officially diagnosed.

My car was bought on finance. The agreement says I can return it after exactly half the finance has been paid which is still another 8 months away.

I'm just wondering what my options are in regards to getting rid of the car? It will be a long time, if ever, I'll be allowed to drive again so there's no point sorning it. No one else in the family drives so no one who could take over the car and payments.

Would my fully comp insurance cover the costs of returning the car? I'm not sure what to do. :( many thanks!

Comments

• DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The insurance won't cover the cost of returning the car, as the insurance is to cover 3rd party claims, fire theft and possibly self damage.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    MrVuitton wrote: »
    ......Would my fully comp insurance cover the costs of returning the car? I'm not sure what to do. :( many thanks!
    Your insurance won't cover this.

"Fully" comp is a misnomer - there's no such thing - the only real difference between comp and tpft is you get cover against damage to your own vehicle on top of tpft cover.

You will need to bite the bullet over this - read up in the loan agreement your options over early termination.

The sooner you get rid, the sooner you can cancel your insurance and tax and get some savings in that direction.
  • MrVuitton
    Options
    So I'll just need to continue paying until I qualify for the early termination.

I found out (prior to the epilepsy) that the car needs approximately £800 worth of wear and tear repairs to get it through the MOT in November which I had saved. Obviously no point in putting it through the mot now.

When I can terminate the finance, will it being unroadworthy cause any problems? It'll just have to sit in the drive collecting dust in the meantime.
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Options
    Can you overpay on the agreement? Pay the 8 months now and hand it back, saving the £800 bill.
  • forgotmyname
    Options
    How old is the car? What repairs does it need?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MrVuitton wrote: »
    I found out (prior to the epilepsy) that the car needs approximately £800 worth of wear and tear repairs to get it through the MOT in November which I had saved. Obviously no point in putting it through the mot now.

When I can terminate the finance, will it being unroadworthy cause any problems?
    Your contract will specify the condition the car has to be returned in - and, yes, having a current MOT will be a very basic requirement.
  • MrVuitton
    Options
    It's a 2007 Range Rover. Needs new wishbones, front brake pads and discs and other bits to the front suspension. Just general wear and tear.

I'll have a look at the agreement tonight in regards to the condition upon return. If I can hand it back in Oct and overpay what I need to then I guess I can do that.
  • forgotmyname
    Options
    If the pads are just worn then you will get away with that, But no MOT will likely be an issue.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure