Switching from a pre-pay meter

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
6 replies 567 views
danroyedanroye Forumite
3 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
We have just bought our first home and unfortunately the gas and electric are on a pre-pay meter.

Obviously want to get that onto a direct debit asap!

Now, I have no idea how to go about this! The gas and electric are with NPower, but I doubt they are the cheapest. Something I read suggests that the current supplier needs to remove/replace the meter and then switch you to DD. Wouldnt this lock me into a deal with a supplier that I might not want and have no prior dealings with?

Replies

• HappyMJHappyMJ Forumite
    21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can switch to a supplier that can remove the meters for free to save a little. Or...pay a charge around £50 per meter and get them removed quicker. You'll need good credit and/or pay a deposit which will be used towards your bills.

You do not have to commit to a deal or pay by direct debit to exchange meters and you can switch away once the meters are in.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • So is it just a case of phoning round to find out who will take them away for free if we go to them?

Do I need to tell NPower thats what we are wanting to do?
  • danroye wrote: »
    So is it just a case of phoning round to find out who will take them away for free if we go to them?

EDF switch them for free with no credit checks. You just need to be a customer with them for 28 days to ask for the swap. If you apply via a switching site on Quidco you'll get around £20 cashback and then again when you switch away from EDF.

My timetable went as follows:

Moved in 10 July
    Switched from EON to EDF on 13 July
    Suppler switch completion 31 July
    Ask EDF for meter switch 1 September
    New meter installed 21 September
    Switch to Scottish Power 24 September

Its a bit longwinded but I get £40 cashback for 2 switches and a free meter change

• Thank you.

I will call NPower after work and see what they will charge for the switch. Hopefully nothing. Then stay with them for a month and then go to whoever is cheapest in time for winter!
  • danroye wrote: »
    So is it just a case of phoning round to find out who will take them away for free if we go to them?

You should find this article useful. It at least describes how the Big 6 treat requests to ditch a PPM
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity
  • edited 29 September 2015 at 3:30PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 29 September 2015 at 3:30PM
    footyguy wrote: »
    You should find this article useful. It at least describes how the Big 6 treat requests to ditch a PPM
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity
    Its not that accurate about switching costs .I ve asked enough people about this on my rounds with Scottish Power and in the real world they were asking for approx £215 for the pair of prepays and thereby stopping people from credit meters. One chap said they wanted £190 so their prices are not exactly set in stone. Are Scottish Power trying to recoup what they d lose in the switch from prepay to credit meters ?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides