IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Possible speed ticket, but on holiday for 3 mths

Options
Tonight I think I was caught by a mobile unit doing about 38 in a 30 zone.

Fair cop, but problem is that from Thursday I will be out of UK for 3 months.

I have a clean record, and would want to do an awareness course if possible. Given that I cannot monitor my post, what can I do....is there anyone I could contact, or would that be risking an 'admission' if I was not caught?
O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

(O would some power the gift to give us to see ourselves as others see us
.)

Robert Burns

Comments

• Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,573 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Wrong place for your problem. We deal with private parking charges - and there's not much 'parking' going on in your case!

You'd be best taking this over to PePiPoo's 'Speeding and other Criminal Offences' forum. Here's your link:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=5

This where the speeding experts are parked.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Given your user name and the fact you are quoting from a certain Mr R Burns Esquire - are you by any chance located in The Land of Caledonia? ;)

Speed Awareness courses are not offered North of the Border. :(

I would suggest that you must monitor your post.

I used to work in Saudi Arabia most of the year and found from bitter and expensive experience that there are simply far too many things that need attention.

Can you not re-direct mailto a reliable relative, or get them to pick it up for you and check any 'suspect' items?
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Options
    To emphasise Iceweasel's point the damage will be done not by missing out on the course but in potentially failing to respond to any Notice of Intended Prosecution at all or within the time limit (28 days). This is likely to be the first document you'll receive.

Failing to reply to the NIP constitutes a separate offence which is viewed by the system as a more serious one that carries a hefty penalty - a mandatory 6 points and a fine often the region of £350-£500 plus costs and the Victim Levy. That is not necessarily the worst aspect. The offence carries the endorsement code MS90 which insurers dislike as it is viewed as an indication of dishonesty. Some insurers might rescind your policy immediately (once the conviction is disclosed) others may decline to renew it - which only then adds to the situation of rising costs. At the very least most insurers are likely to load your premiums in the same way as they are unlikely to do so were you to go to them with a 3 pointer.

HTH
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • portchieboy
    Options
    Thanks guys. Not Scottish, no!

I will I think get my mail re directed then.
    O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others see us.

(O would some power the gift to give us to see ourselves as others see us
    .)

Robert Burns
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good idea.

Fingers crossed you hear nothing more about the possible speeding, but better to be safe than sorry and seriously out of pocket.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport