Clean Energy via 38Degrees: any good?

Options
I came across a petition by 38Degrees about Clean Energy a week or more ago, signed it, forgot about it then received another email about switching to Clean Energy. I'm currently with EDF.

Does anybody know about Clean Energy? Has anybody switched already and how do you find this provider?
The Help page explains that the energy is derived from '...from Cornish sunshine, Scottish wind and, um, Welsh rain...'
It all seems very good!

https://speakout.38degrees.org.uk/campaigns/clean-energy-switch

https://home.38degrees.org.uk/clean-energy-switch-help-page/

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 September 2015 at 10:14AM
    Options
    Why sign up to something when you don't not actually understand what you are signing? The energy supply which comes into your property does not come from any particular supplier/generator. We have a national grid - a network of pipes and wires - that transports our energy. The energy that goes into your kettle is a mix of electricity produced from nuclear, gas, solar, wind, hydro, waste, and biomass sources. You may even get some electricity from your next door neighbour if he has PV solar.

FWiw, this looks to be a collective switch being promoted by 38Degrees. You will not find it listed on any comparison or supplier's website.

Edit;

If you look at the FAQs on the link that you provided you will see that the supplier is Good Energy.

For everyone who switches, 38 Degrees will get £12.50. We will use this money to fund campaigns chosen by 38 Degrees members.

The £12.50 commission will come be paid from the successful energy company, via The Big Deal who are dealing directly with the energy companies and will be processing the commission.

The unit prices by region are on the Big Deal website: 38Degrees are partners. If I switched it would cost me about £90 per year MORE than I am paying at the moment.

http://www.which.co.uk/energy/saving-money/guides/small-energy-companies/good-energy/
  • bubbleoflife_2
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback. I'll call them up tomorrow and ask a few questions to compare with my current EDF's rates.
  • theonlyrick
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    Why sign up to something when you don't not actually understand what you are signing?

Hengus - to be blunt... *you* don't understand Good Energy.

They only (100%) buy from renewable sources. (I think that excludes nuclear, prob excludes biomass).

As the Which? report you linked to summarised: "Knowing my energy is coming from something sustainable, I'm happy to pay what some may consider (though not me) a 'little extra'" (Which? also mentioned that Good Energy came 2nd out of the 18 energy suppliers for customer satisfaction.)

I know this kind of talk is anathema on this website, but sometimes the cheapest deal isn't the best offer.
    If less is more, think how much "more" more would be.
  • theonlyrick
    Options
    Ummmm... Obvs I'm only talking about electricity. I don't think anyone is selling renewable gas...
    If less is more, think how much "more" more would be.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

They only (100%) buy from renewable sources. (I think that excludes nuclear, prob excludes biomass).

As the Which? report you linked to summarised: "Knowing my energy is coming from something sustainable, I'm happy to pay what some may consider (though not me) a 'little extra'" (Which? also mentioned that Good Energy came 2nd out of the 18 energy suppliers for customer satisfaction.)

I know this kind of talk is anathema on this website, but sometimes the cheapest deal isn't the best offer.

I do understand that Good Energy, Ecotricity et al source all their supplies from renewables. My point is that a consumer can pay an inflated price for 'green' electricity but there is no guarantee that any of it will end up in the consumer's home. The only way to guarantee 100% renewable power is to have your home connected off grid to a renewable generator (PV solar, wind turbine or water turbine).
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options

The renewable source is in fact the UK taxpayers staggering £9 billion a year in subsidies, £68 to each average household bill and expected to rise to expected to £170 by 2020 according to DECC. I for one object to paying that subsidy.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • bubbleoflife_2
    Options
    The renewable source is in fact the UK taxpayers staggering £9 billion a year in subsidies, £68 to each average household bill and expected to rise to expected to £170 by 2020 according to DECC. I for one object to paying that subsidy.

How does that work out???
    Sorry, I don't get it! :o
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    How does that work out???
    Sorry, I don't get it! :o

It means what it says,everyone in the UK already heavily subsidised that energy, then all the 'green preference' individuals like yourself pay an inflated price to 38 for electricity so they can spend your inflated bill and 'switching fees' saving the the Kensington Odeon, do you live in Kensington ?. Unsurprisingly they also want to spend (surprise - surprise) your money on stopping the GOV slashing subsidies to solar power and Onshore windymills - now who woulda thunk that ?
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure