Questionable bill amount

Options
keef82
keef82 Posts: 13 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hi All,

I've recently moved to a new property, a two bedroom flat in a large new build. Just received my first energy bill and it feels a little steep.
We have no gas, everything is electric so its just a electricity bill. For the quarter its £300.
Its been summer so the heating wasn't turned on once, we use the laundrette over the road rather than the washing machine so £100 a month in electricity seems like a lot. Any comments? Am I just being a bit to tight fisted and this is the going rate.

Cheers

p.s. it's with Co-Operative energy

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you have readings? If you don't have readings then the figure on the bill could mean anything. They may have estimated it based it on the previous quarter which may have been a winter quarter and heating was used.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • modsandmockers
    Options
    Does the starting meter reading on the bill match the meter reading which you gave at the time of signing up with Co-op Energy? Is the end meter reading an 'actual' reading, submitted by you, or is it an 'estimated' reading? If it's 'estimated' then, by submitting an actual reading asap, you should be entitled to receive a revised bill. It's worth submitting regular monthly readings and avoid the use of estimated readings.
    mad mocs - the pavement worrier
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    keef82 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've recently moved to a new property, a two bedroom flat in a large new build. Just received my first energy bill and it feels a little steep.
    We have no gas, everything is electric so its just a electricity bill. For the quarter its £300.
    Its been summer so the heating wasn't turned on once, we use the laundrette over the road rather than the washing machine so £100 a month in electricity seems like a lot. Any comments? Am I just being a bit to tight fisted and this is the going rate.

Cheers

p.s. it's with Co-Operative energy

£100 of electricity per month at this time of year, if that is indeed what you have consumed, does seem like a lot for 2 bed flat.

Are you on the best deal? Consult a comparsion site to find out.

One also wonders why some people keep a dog and bark themself?
    (or in this case, have spent their hard earned cash on their own washing machine, yet traipse across the road with their laundry, and pay how much per wash there???:eek:)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 September 2015 at 11:42AM
    Options
    Can I make a 99p suggestion? Download [URL=]http://grahamhaley.co.uk/meters/[/URL] to your phone. Enter details of your tariffs and any discounts. Take a meter reading each month and, BINGO, it does the sums for you. Last week, my gas cost £3.96 and electricity was £6.67. My electricity cost for August was £29.34 and gas £16.14. Yes - its that simple.

You can even backdate to your start of supply; insert open readings; insert today's readings and it will calculate how much energy in £s you have used to date.

PS When you take the meter reading to enter into the app don't forget to pass the reading on to your supplier. Most suppliers are happy to accept frequent meter readings from their customers.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Flat in a new build
    Is your meter in a Service Room along with all the other meters ?

If so, mix-ups as which meter belongs to a specific flat is a common problem
    1)Check the that the meter No on your bill tallys with that on the actual meter

2)Switch off everything in the flat and stand beside the meter, which should be stationary - Have a friend with a mobile phone Switch your kettle On and Off,
    your meter should register the power use in the same sequence as the Kettle switching.
    If it does not you are being billed for the wrong meter, so contact your supplier
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure