edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Special Occasions & Other Celebrations
34 replies 15K views
124»

Replies

• bloomfeltbloomfelt Forumite
    470 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I picked up a 10p book for my stepdaughter last week as we have run out of bedtime reading books, she was so excited when i gave it to her you'd have thought i'd spent a fortune! Like others have said children especially dont care if it's something they like.
    Pay off all your debt by Xmas 2021 #25 £3086.91/£5774.32 53.46%
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    31.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bloomfelt
    We have a long-running 'charity shop bargain' thread here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3859129&highlight=nigel&page=339

Pop over and see us. :)
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago my grandson's favourite Christmas present was a toy lawnmower that cost 50p.

All the expensive presents were ignored in favour of it.

He thought it was a vacuum cleaner and for months ran to use it every time the vacuum was brought out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    TBagpuss wrote: »
    I wouldn;t have any issue with giving, or being given, a gift from a charity shop, or one which was second hand more generally, provided that it is a suitable gift.

I think particularly for younger children, where things are often grown out of quite quickly it can be a particularly good option, as you may be able to find things which are still in very good condition.

It does depend a bit on the recipient, though. I can think of one or two people I know who would be mortally offended and in those cases, if they were people I was giving gifts to, I would be very careful to avoid anything which could be identified as being second hand, or might even chose to give just a card rather than a gift.

This.

I have no qualms about buying bits and bobs for me but I couldnt buy for others as I know they would be offended. Likewise so would I be if I'm honest, its one thing buyingfor yourself but totally another when buying for others.

I would also worry that the receipiant would try and take it back to the original shop only to be told they hadnt stocked that item since 1977.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides