Higher Income Child Benefits charge

Hi I wonder if somebody can help me. My wife and I are filling out the child benefits form for our first child. Our wages are 24k and 16k respectively however last year I worked A LOT of overtime and my wages crept just above the 50k mark. It will be nowhere near that again this year. Do I need to explain this somehow or do I complete the form as normal?


  • SkyeKnight
    You don't need to explain anything as even those on over £50k can claim Child Benefit, but will be required to pay back some (or all if earning over £60k) in their tax return at the end of the tax year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards