Car Insurance NCD V's pending claims

Options
What's the general industry rule of thumb regarding the effect of pending claims / open claims or claims in dispute when it comes to the effect they have on NCD for policy renewals.
Or is it the case that there are no rules and this will vary from one insurer to the next?

In my case it seems what would have been a 5 year NCD for this years renewal is knocked back to 2 years because of a claim being made against my insurance that is unsettled.

Frustrating and irksome are how I would describe the experience in the mildest of terms when I am 100% sure there is no fault on my part and the incident is more than 12 months old (and apparently because it's a personal injury (whiplash) claim it could go unsettled for years).

I don't suppose that should the outcome of the dispute be in my favour that my insurer will re-instate the lost 3 years NCD and reimburse the not inconsiderable additional premiums I'm expected to pay?

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Comments

• Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, I received the NCD refunded to me when the claim was settled (about 7 years ago).
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    gilbertcr wrote: »
    I don't suppose that should the outcome of the dispute be in my favour that my insurer will re-instate the lost 3 years NCD and reimburse the not inconsiderable additional premiums I'm expected to pay?

This is exactly what most insurers will do, yes.
  • gilbertcr
    Options
    Andy L & Raskazz

Thanks, that gives me some comfort

Regards C
  • qob
    qob Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    thats what they did for me, i had to get proof itd been reinstated though cos i was switching insurers
    Laura
    Debt Free Birthday: 25th September 2010 :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family