We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Looking for a potted plant/shrub/bush/tree

Options
Ok, I know nothing about gardening so I apologise in advance.

At the front of my house I have a small bed, 50cm deep by the width of the house. I'm planning on putting those little fence things around the border and then covering with stones. But I want a pot next to the door. I just don't know what. :o

I was thinking a tree/shrub type thing. Is there something that will last year round, won't get to big, maybe a metre high, and doesn't need much sunlight as the front is north facing. Ideally it would be as cheap as possible.

Sorry if this is so vague I just really don't have a clue. :o

Thanks

Comments

• I_have_spoken
    Options
    Box balls are always elegant, don't need much sun

box-balls.jpg
  • madjackslam
    Options
    Choose as large a pot as you can. This helps the plant, and discourages light-fingered passers-by. How about a standard bay with something at the base (eg, ivy) to stop the pot looking too naked? Bays are relatively cheap, and you can keep them clipped to a size and height. I do like box balls, but cringe every time I pass a nearby house that has two box pyramids by the front door. One is alive, but one died almost a year ago, so there is now one brown and one green!
  • Yolina
    Yolina Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2015 at 11:25AM
    Options
    I keep mentioning Sarcococca Confusa here every time someone is after an evergreen, no-maintenance shrub that thrives in the shade :) It has masses of small flowers in January which smell wonderful. Oh and it's hardy too. There's also a couple of other variants: Sarcococca Hookeriana and Sarcococca Ruscifolia.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've put sweet box on my list - will fit a very shady corner very nicely, so ta for that one, Yolina. At the risk of hijacking the thread, I am also after something sculptural and hardy that will look good in a tall container.
  • firsttimebuyer2013
    Options
    Thanks folks. Bought a box ball as they were half price at Homebase. Still quite expensive though. :o

Will get another one or two soon, they look really good. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure