PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Am I too young for the WI? (Womens Insitute)

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    It's not such an odd question when you look at photos of WIs but a lot of that is down to the group's rural origins.
    I think Little Britain has played a part too :D

81893c1669196eaf9dbba0e7f933b813430fdb34.jpg

Seriously, it is the rurality and lack of diversity in those places that might give that impression. The only way of addressing latent prejudices is by joining in.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Aura
    Aura Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Men disguised as women, hum.
  • Carfal
    Carfal Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    It must depend on your local group. My mum is a member; she's almost 70 and only one woman is younger than her in her group. Can't say it appeals much....
  • Aura
    Aura Posts: 260 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sad because it does a lot of good things.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They tend to be full of old people because they tend to have meetings in the daytime, when hard working people are at work ... working hard.

Where I used to live they were all about 80. Where my sibling lives (and is a member) they're about 50-90.

Every one is different. But if you enjoy it, s0d the mockers. It's not their life.
  • Bluebell68
    Options
    As title says can you help? I am thinking of joining the WI

I was wondering if anyone on here goes to WI in Gwynedd area?

I would like to go along sit in a nights meeting if that is allowed and join maybe
    I may have times I could not go if im having a relapse I don't leave the house

would they mind it if I didn't go due to this

many thanks
    Bluebell
    xx
    Secrets And Lies Destroy Lives
  • Thrift
    Thrift Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Interesting to hear people say meetings are held in the afternoon in their areas as all those local ones to me are evening meetings. I have given talks at some meetings, too, and have only ever given one during an afternoon. In the past it was indeed more common and in some places they have an afternoon Institute and an evening one as a result.

Institutes closing due to an aging membership is a problem but one I think is being reversed. One I attended closed but everyone relocated to one of the others available in surrounding villages and the one I now attend has seen a 25% increase in membership in the past two years, many of the newcomers in the younger age range.

Making use of modern media has helped. We have a website and a Facebook page and it helps people get a feel for what we do from crafts and visits to table tennis and skittles. I have found the best way to get the programme you want is to be an active member and not sit back and wait for others to arrange everything for you. Suggest topics for speakers, outings or activities. There are sure to be others who will want to give things a go, too. Like many things in life the more you put in the more you get back, too.
  • lucy_lemon
    Options
    [QUOTE=Bluebell68;69217996
    I was wondering if anyone on here goes to WI in Gwynedd area?
    [/QUOTE]

Hi Bluebell,

Whereabouts in Gwynedd are you? And are you a Welsh speaker? I think there's quite a few Merched y Wawr groups about.

I don't belong to the WI (I'm in Llandudno and I think they are all about 90) but I wouldn't think it would be a problem if you couldn't go to every meeting :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thrift wrote: »
    Interesting to hear people say meetings are held in the afternoon in their areas as all those local ones to me are evening meetings.
    I just checked three places on http://www.thewi.org.uk/become-a-member/structure-of-the-wi/england

Where I used to live it's every 2nd Tuesday at 1.45
    My sibling's lot are every other Monday at 7pm
    Where I live now it's every other Monday at 10am
  • Taadaa
    Taadaa Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    Options
    Forget what other people have to say.

I went to a group but l wasn't welcome as they simply didn't want young people there. I was younger by 30 years. Try it and see.
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off :o

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport